Tap Tap Tap

I attended an Officer's Training for Toastmasters last night in conjunction with my role as VP of PR.  Several people gave an oration of important roles to undertake, in order to enhance a club's success. (Keep reading, I am trying to expand my vocabulary...smile here.) They were interesting and confident during their course, in front of the 30 plus attendees.  I was observing the audience throughout the presentations and came to recognize the impact this type of club has had on individuals. They all spoke of the positive impact the organization has had on their personal confidence as well as growth in their careers. There were a few people who spoke of the fact that their spouses are involved with Toastmaster's. Many couples have worked through the chains of command and are seated at some top positions in the area. I found this very interesting.

I know one of my fellow co members belongs to three clubs and is a mentor to another. Now, in visiting with his wife at holiday functions, I know she gets frustrated with his absence from the home and away from their two children, in order to attend his functions and meetings so often. I can relate to that. (sigh here). In any relationship, there should be a happy balance. If not found, the scales tip easily. Feelings of resentment can add to the tipping side. In this case, who is right and who is wrong? Is he wrong for enhancing his personal growth? Is she wrong for being upset that he attends to other duties rather than home bound obligations? He is a success in his career and is a member of a Speaker's Bureau, with the intent on earning a fee for public speaking. He just completed a short speech and was paid $300 by the organization for his effort. Pretty nice, right? But what of his wife? Is she now wondering how many more times he will be absent from the home while she holds down the fort and cares for the kids? I know them both and like them both. How will they balance the scales and both stay happy? Her personal growth my be stifled given her role as mother, all in itself.

I was also reflecting, inwardly, during the two hour training. Something is tapping in my mind about this cadre of people. Something is tapping in my gut about the potential growth I can experience with this organization. My club is one who started a Speaker's Bureau and I am assisting the President. I do not have an official role, I just take notes and help with PR for them, also. As a recent blog post noted, a few people have encouraged me to join the Bureau, as they feel my position as a supervisor for a non profit could have some interest to other non profits. Many of my comments after giving club speeches have been; "you have great presence", "your speech was well thought out." Trust me, I have some areas of improvement. I chuckle to think I could be a paid speaker. I told them I am glad to help them, but I need to build my confidence with speaking publicly. I have given speeches at a couple of community centers and a Kiwanis's group. I think I bored my audience. That's okay, I joined this club to learn from some of the best.

Tapping in my brain also led me to acknowledge that I am involved with some special, quality people here. Now, I do not plan on giving up my day job, nor thinking a career in this is my cup of tea. However, I have felt the personal growth and spoke to my director about this. I offered to lobby our local legislature as an advocate for the agency...of which I have done in the past. She said, "Good, because I have to bow out of doing that kind of stuff." Our advocacy derives from the funding we rely on from Dept. of Social & Health Services, which is always getting trimmed due to deficits in the state budget. My heart does play a huge part in my belief about the down trodden citizens of society or the handicapped, vulnerable folks. (not the milkers of society...I deal with them, too). Sharing your heart and your beliefs is a large piece of a successful speech. Hmmm...

I started a second blog last month, I recently deleted it due to my dissatisfaction with it. I will start it again as I have been thinking about it...(that darn commute). The newest blog will share my professional experience and such, given the fact I have been with this agency for fifteen years. I should have some knowledge about it, right?

My mind has been tap, tap, tapping with interesting thoughts. Not new thoughts, per say, revitalized thoughts.

Comments

Grumpy said…
Sounds like you have a full plate. Just remember, there is a lot of truth to the old adage that all work and no play can make Claire a dull woman.
kden said…
Revitalized thoughts are good ones to have ;-)
Claire M. King said…
Thanks grumpy and kden. grumpy, I feel this Toastmaster's is an avenue of meeting new people and developing connections, relationships. Thanks kden for your comment. My brain works overtime sometimes. It's better than being stagnant. I am in a position to NOT worry about anyone else for the first time in my life. I do not have to balance my efforts with someone else. Ahhh...

Popular posts from this blog

Curve Ball-First Pitch

The Observation Deck

Pane of Pain