Inside Out and Outside In
So, like many people on our planet, I am having some difficulty keeping a decent balance in my checkbook. I have used plastic for needed items more than I have in a long time. I am not talking of splurge items either. I am talking of food, gas and essentials. I have not had my nails done since last summer. It has been, since before Christmas, that I visited my favorite salon for a haircut and a bit of color highlights. I have not seen my counselor for almost three months. I purchased one pair of jeans and one top in November, on sale, of course.(The jeans were around $30 and the top was $19). I used a credit card around Christmas for some small items. I just discovered that my credit score is 10 points under qualifying for the same damn loan I qualified for, two months ago. The use of plastic has hurt me. (frown here.) My lovely drive to my potential new town turns out to be a bit of a bust...in some ways. I still learned of the area and saw an amazing view of Mt. Rainier. There are people far worse off in life than me. I have my health, I have a job. I have a roof over my head and I am not getting swamped with a Tsunami. Right? I should say so and quit griping. Right? Okay, I will try not to dull your senses or your attitudes, my blogger friends.
I have had some thought provoking occurrences in my life in the last few months, as you all know. None can take the cake for the idiotic circumstance I allowed myself to fall into tonight, on my way home from work. None. At the same time, I was completely aware of the reason, the affects, and the knowledge gained, and why.
This weekend was spent being on line, doing paperwork for tax preparation, a bit of house cleaning. (Oh yes, me and my friend went dancing on Saturday night. He and I had a nice time.) I knew my paycheck was being automatically deposited tonight, but that did not help putting gas in my tank for my 60 mile round trip commute, and buying a stupid, pack of cigarettes this morning. (Stop it, I know I could save money by quitting. OK?) I literally put the last few dollars from a credit card in my gas tank, on my lunch hour, and scrounged up change for a pack of cigarettes. (frown here.)
I knew the few dollars put a bare gallon of gas in the tank, but I have precisely measured, (on purpose), how far my Honda will travel after the gas light comes on. 31 miles. I work 30 miles from where I live. I knew, I knew, I knew I was pushing fate, but I prayed and hoped, "Just get me home, just get me home." On my drive home, cruising down the interstate, my car starts sputtering. Literally! My car has never ran out of gas in the 11 1/2 years of ownership. I have gauged this. I have tested this. I have measured this. Guess what, my "low on gas" light does not work anymore. So after milking the baby as far as it would go, and to the exit closest to my home and with the nearest gas station less than a mile off the ramp, I had to pull onto the shoulder, set the ER lights and start walking. I was already in the mindset of this being an okay alternative as I was a power walker and knew a gas station was not farther than I could handle trekking to. Of course, I had not charged my cell phone either, so it was dead as a doornail. (Unlike me, to not have it charged, either.) I kept saying to myself, "God is telling me something here. This is a sign." (you can laugh here, it is OK.)
I did not walk very far, and a car pulled quickly off the freeway, to help, I assumed. Due to uncommon tragedies in our world and suspicious characters floating about, I was a bit leery of approaching the vehicle. But, I graciously opened the passenger door and an older gentleman, I am guessing in his seventies, ruffled through the debris on the seat and said, "I assume that is your car pulled off the road." I chatted with him, figured I could "take him" if needed, and slid in. During the minute of sitting on the shoulder of the interstate while waiting for a break in traffic, I made a passing comment about how I thought I could make it home and ran out of gas. He politely said, "I have a gallon of gas in my trunk and I think it was meant for you. This circumstance happened to me in Lincoln City about a month ago, and someone was nice enough to help me out. What goes around comes around." I told him I did not have cash on hand and he bluntly said he wouldn't take money even if I had it. He backed his car, slowly and steadily, towards my car, along the shoulder. I told him I didn't mind walking back to my car, etc...but he was persistent, and I will say, a good, back up driver. Gas in Honda, shake of hands, and he insisted I take his phone number if I ever wanted to talk about politics. He had been at the Capitol for several hours lobbying for educational programs, and when I had informed him I was lobbying on March 24th against DSHS program cutbacks, we struck a political conversation. I tried getting his address to send him money, but he would not do that, as he he did not want compensation for the deed.
I was actually frustrated at work today and I let it carry into my gut and become a boulder. Reason being: I sent a one line email to the ex about 3 weeks ago, stating, "Send me a copy of the mortgage/tax statement." His reply a few days after, "I don't have it, but will get one and send you a copy." Time passed. No copy, so, I called the title company and got a copy within days. I sent a subject line email: " Are you claiming half of the interest and taxes?" His response: "I suppose so, I'll talk to my accountant." I replied: "I'll just claim 1/2 then." Then, of course, as that rock turns into a tummy boulder, and I think and rethink. I know a national rule is every company has until 1/31 of each year to get proper statements to people and he did not even state to me in any way about this document. So, for being on the title for 7 months, he is claiming 1/2 the interest and taxes from 1/1/10 until 4/28/10 when the house (I owned for 29 years) sold. Fine. I expected that. So, I did a one line subject email, "I will expect business receipts from 1/1/10 until 4/26/10 until the divorce filing to claim my half." We will see, and no, I am not putting myself in jeopardy on filing my Income Taxes waiting for him. I just wanted him to think about this and maybe, consider the deductions a wash.
Plus, I had to fire an employee today, a 94 year old dear, friend/client died two days ago
My lesson: I need to not let frustrations cloud my judgments, I need to listen to my instincts, and remember, trust in humankind is still worthwhile.
I have had some thought provoking occurrences in my life in the last few months, as you all know. None can take the cake for the idiotic circumstance I allowed myself to fall into tonight, on my way home from work. None. At the same time, I was completely aware of the reason, the affects, and the knowledge gained, and why.
This weekend was spent being on line, doing paperwork for tax preparation, a bit of house cleaning. (Oh yes, me and my friend went dancing on Saturday night. He and I had a nice time.) I knew my paycheck was being automatically deposited tonight, but that did not help putting gas in my tank for my 60 mile round trip commute, and buying a stupid, pack of cigarettes this morning. (Stop it, I know I could save money by quitting. OK?) I literally put the last few dollars from a credit card in my gas tank, on my lunch hour, and scrounged up change for a pack of cigarettes. (frown here.)
I knew the few dollars put a bare gallon of gas in the tank, but I have precisely measured, (on purpose), how far my Honda will travel after the gas light comes on. 31 miles. I work 30 miles from where I live. I knew, I knew, I knew I was pushing fate, but I prayed and hoped, "Just get me home, just get me home." On my drive home, cruising down the interstate, my car starts sputtering. Literally! My car has never ran out of gas in the 11 1/2 years of ownership. I have gauged this. I have tested this. I have measured this. Guess what, my "low on gas" light does not work anymore. So after milking the baby as far as it would go, and to the exit closest to my home and with the nearest gas station less than a mile off the ramp, I had to pull onto the shoulder, set the ER lights and start walking. I was already in the mindset of this being an okay alternative as I was a power walker and knew a gas station was not farther than I could handle trekking to. Of course, I had not charged my cell phone either, so it was dead as a doornail. (Unlike me, to not have it charged, either.) I kept saying to myself, "God is telling me something here. This is a sign." (you can laugh here, it is OK.)
I did not walk very far, and a car pulled quickly off the freeway, to help, I assumed. Due to uncommon tragedies in our world and suspicious characters floating about, I was a bit leery of approaching the vehicle. But, I graciously opened the passenger door and an older gentleman, I am guessing in his seventies, ruffled through the debris on the seat and said, "I assume that is your car pulled off the road." I chatted with him, figured I could "take him" if needed, and slid in. During the minute of sitting on the shoulder of the interstate while waiting for a break in traffic, I made a passing comment about how I thought I could make it home and ran out of gas. He politely said, "I have a gallon of gas in my trunk and I think it was meant for you. This circumstance happened to me in Lincoln City about a month ago, and someone was nice enough to help me out. What goes around comes around." I told him I did not have cash on hand and he bluntly said he wouldn't take money even if I had it. He backed his car, slowly and steadily, towards my car, along the shoulder. I told him I didn't mind walking back to my car, etc...but he was persistent, and I will say, a good, back up driver. Gas in Honda, shake of hands, and he insisted I take his phone number if I ever wanted to talk about politics. He had been at the Capitol for several hours lobbying for educational programs, and when I had informed him I was lobbying on March 24th against DSHS program cutbacks, we struck a political conversation. I tried getting his address to send him money, but he would not do that, as he he did not want compensation for the deed.
I was actually frustrated at work today and I let it carry into my gut and become a boulder. Reason being: I sent a one line email to the ex about 3 weeks ago, stating, "Send me a copy of the mortgage/tax statement." His reply a few days after, "I don't have it, but will get one and send you a copy." Time passed. No copy, so, I called the title company and got a copy within days. I sent a subject line email: " Are you claiming half of the interest and taxes?" His response: "I suppose so, I'll talk to my accountant." I replied: "I'll just claim 1/2 then." Then, of course, as that rock turns into a tummy boulder, and I think and rethink. I know a national rule is every company has until 1/31 of each year to get proper statements to people and he did not even state to me in any way about this document. So, for being on the title for 7 months, he is claiming 1/2 the interest and taxes from 1/1/10 until 4/28/10 when the house (I owned for 29 years) sold. Fine. I expected that. So, I did a one line subject email, "I will expect business receipts from 1/1/10 until 4/26/10 until the divorce filing to claim my half." We will see, and no, I am not putting myself in jeopardy on filing my Income Taxes waiting for him. I just wanted him to think about this and maybe, consider the deductions a wash.
Plus, I had to fire an employee today, a 94 year old dear, friend/client died two days ago
My lesson: I need to not let frustrations cloud my judgments, I need to listen to my instincts, and remember, trust in humankind is still worthwhile.
Comments