Foggy

    I actually have a lot to say today, I am just lacking the ability to know where to start or how to speak my peace. It will come to me as I type, I am sure.
   My radiator blew a hole last Friday night as I traveled home from work. Smoke billowed from under the hood, but I was able to baby it a few more miles to a gas station. I did this by stopping, resting the car for a few minutes, then driving, then stopping, and so on, and so on.  I poked under the hood and saw radiator fluid spewed on the engine. A guy and his lady pulled up beside me.
"Are you stranded?" He asked as he edged his way to where I was standing. His Lady friend said,"Don't worry, he's a mechanic." He discovered a hole in the very top of the radiator, patched it with a heavy type of tape he had handy in his truck , though he said it would not hold. He then went into the store and bought a gallon of antifreeze and water, filled the radiator and gave me tips on how to "milk it" home.
"Pull off the highway every time the temperature gauge hits hot, and refill with fluid. Hopefully, that will at least get you home." After shaking their hands and learning their names as Conrad and Althea,  I drove with the breath catching inside me the whole time, and praying to at least get home. I did.
   When I relayed the story to my friend on the phone, she instantly offered to let me borrow her car to get to work Monday, for my 60 mile commute. I took her up on her offer. Thank goodness I had already had Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday as approved time off. My repairs were scheduled for Wednesday, after I had gotten a few estimates on Saturday. Tuesday, I had about three of my Toastmaster friends offer me a ride to and from our meeting. Again, I am so grateful for this group of people in my life. However, I had arrangements with a different kind of friend, for a different kind of reason, lined up to accompany me to my meeting.
   Last year, shortly after my separation from the X, I went to a business net working group, in a neighboring town, to finally meet this gent, whom my X highly regarded and spoke of, often, as did other people. His name was almost a buzzword. Therefore, I will call him "Buzz". He is an entrepreneur, specializes in sales, and is noted for public speaking. (good grief), and he is a fellow Toastmaster, in his town. We had already become Internet social networking friends, and chatted on occasion, on line. We were glad to meet personally, despite the X and new separation. I eventually learned, he is the gent that my X slighted at his big networking event, last spring. The X was suppose to pay him, could not, then promised he would get notoriety for his sponsorship and speech, in trade. He got neither. In a past post, he is the man who said, "there are bold assholes, etc..." So during my chats with Buzz, I learned he is quite athletic for his 58 years, as I am for my 49. We started an ongoing joke about competing in a game of H-O-R-S-E, (a friendly, basketball shooting game). He also is manager of a network, marketing business, called; Send Out Cards.com, and he has sent many cards to many folks, including myself. Inspirational, friendly types of cards. I went out of my way on two occasions to attend his Toastmaster functions, and went to his and his wife's yard sale last summer, and was acquainted with them more. (smile here). He finally came to Olympia and we met, went over a Send Out Cards Program (yes I am involved with it now), and then we shot some hoops, then he went to my Toastmaster's meeting with me. He always said he felt bad it took him so long to return the visit. He is a class act, and I was honored to introduce him as my guest. He knows a couple of other members in my club, anyway. I promised him I would not post on my social networking site, that I beat him at H-O-R-S-E. (laugh here.)
   My ex father in law died Sunday. Now, I am very glad that I and my mom went for our visit in the hospital, to see him and the Mrs. I feel horrible for the family. They lost a great fellow, a hard working person and a man who loved to hunt and fish. I am grateful I had many a meal at his table, and mine, to share and hear stories of his favorite things, and his history trivia. I am glad he approved of me, while I was a part of that family.
   I am on the verge of leaving my job. I am so frustrated with working so hard, for not enough. I know, I know, I am grateful I have a job. (sigh here). I even looked into what would happen with my retirement plan. After the feds and the state gov take their 30% of it, I would have $15,000, plus my vacation fund paid out. That would be about $2400. Combined, that would equal seven months' salary. Hmmm...

Comments

Grumpy said…
I'm older than that and I can whip you in a game of H-O-R-S-E and I'll spot you the H, O and R.
Claire M. King said…
bring it grumpy. Ha!
kden said…
You've had a lot on your plate, huh? Sorry to hear about your FIL, I'm sure he couldn't help but approve of you. I understand your feelings about wanting to leave your job. Sounds like you've aleady put some thought into it. Wishing you the best with whatever choice you make.
Anonymous said…
I hope you can work yourself our of this tough spot you're in. Always told my kids not to quit a job before they found another one but that's not always good advice either. I've lived my life between a rock and a hard place. Good luck.

I'm always a little embarrassed to asked questions about something discussed so openly but what is HORSE? One presumes it is some kind of game that the ignorant and deprived among us have not had access to.
Anonymous said…
Hope you get your car fixed...a lot to consider..I know you will do well no matter what you decide.
Claire M. King said…
#1: Bring it grumpy.:)
#2:Thanks for the well wishes kden.
#3: Yes bill, it is a basketball, shooting game. Each player takes turns shooting, if you make it, the next guy has to shoot from same spot. If he misses, he gets a letter. If he makes it, no letter bestowed.Whoever gets pegged HORSE first, looses.
#4:Thanks anonymous.

Popular posts from this blog

Curve Ball-First Pitch

The Observation Deck

Pane of Pain