Fragile as Glass: Piece One
When I think of glass, many objects cross my mind in visualization of this product. Windows, (of course), which allow us to see the world from an inside view. I picture skyscrapers across America with glass walls, allowing reflections to bounce from them, or to protect the mannequins from strangers' hands. Glass jars, trillions of shapes, sizes and colors, that can hold anything from flowers to noodles, or life... like an embryo to a firefly. I think of the windshield of my car, with two cracks running down the passenger side. A mar left from passing trucks, flinging rocks at my Honda. I think of rocket ships and the glass windshields on them. What strength these objects have to withstand so much pressure, pings, weather and the like. Amazing, isn't it? Yet, when packing to move, or rearranging something with glass, we are so protective and careful to wrap it for transport, or lift it with gentle hands. We know of it's fragility.
I think the human character is, as glass. In it's proper setting, it can be strong and withstand time and the elements. Human character can be "molded" or transformed to suit a need or a purpose. Yet, it can be so delicate, fragile, and break so easily with one wrong move, when unprotected, just like glass. I remembered this today. I remembered this because of someone else, someone of whom I least expected to have a fragile spot.
My dear, guy friend.
A short story to explain. (Smile here, we know nothing I write is short). During the past several months, I have written of our conversations and hanging out with each other. I have posted of his opinions I have grown to respect, and appreciate. I have noted of our intimacies in a wispy, passing way. He was aware of my blog, long ago. I had even read some excerpts to him, while I at my computer, and he on the other end of the phone. He was always delighted with my readings, and supportive, understanding the therapy it has provided. I did share my blog link with him, and invited him to read it, even though I have not given him a name. He did not read it wholly, until the other night. The reason; I had texted him a week ago, and said we needed to wean away from each other. He called when he got the text, and we had a nice discussion on my reasons.We didn't need to talk or text every day, I had other problems to focus on, and I did not want to be in his way should he meet a lady he'd like to develop a true, relationship with. I was not in that sphere of emotional exchange, yet.
We had clear boundaries from the start, and no expectations in this "non relationship". Right? Right. He respected my wishes and we weaned away from daily contact. Very few people know of our non relationship, and it is not because we were doing anything wrong...neither of us was involved with anyone else. I certainly waited more than my share of time, (nine bloody months, since my separation then divorce), to have intimate contact with a man.(sigh here.) Certainly, none of our Toastmaster friends know. That would be, just awkward.(Thanks for the advice, grumpy. I listened to you. Ha!)
I learned, a piece of his heart had become as fragile as glass.
I think the human character is, as glass. In it's proper setting, it can be strong and withstand time and the elements. Human character can be "molded" or transformed to suit a need or a purpose. Yet, it can be so delicate, fragile, and break so easily with one wrong move, when unprotected, just like glass. I remembered this today. I remembered this because of someone else, someone of whom I least expected to have a fragile spot.
My dear, guy friend.
A short story to explain. (Smile here, we know nothing I write is short). During the past several months, I have written of our conversations and hanging out with each other. I have posted of his opinions I have grown to respect, and appreciate. I have noted of our intimacies in a wispy, passing way. He was aware of my blog, long ago. I had even read some excerpts to him, while I at my computer, and he on the other end of the phone. He was always delighted with my readings, and supportive, understanding the therapy it has provided. I did share my blog link with him, and invited him to read it, even though I have not given him a name. He did not read it wholly, until the other night. The reason; I had texted him a week ago, and said we needed to wean away from each other. He called when he got the text, and we had a nice discussion on my reasons.We didn't need to talk or text every day, I had other problems to focus on, and I did not want to be in his way should he meet a lady he'd like to develop a true, relationship with. I was not in that sphere of emotional exchange, yet.
We had clear boundaries from the start, and no expectations in this "non relationship". Right? Right. He respected my wishes and we weaned away from daily contact. Very few people know of our non relationship, and it is not because we were doing anything wrong...neither of us was involved with anyone else. I certainly waited more than my share of time, (nine bloody months, since my separation then divorce), to have intimate contact with a man.(sigh here.) Certainly, none of our Toastmaster friends know. That would be, just awkward.(Thanks for the advice, grumpy. I listened to you. Ha!)
I learned, a piece of his heart had become as fragile as glass.
Comments