The View Changes

 After that last post, I have continued to keep busy and am surprised by the weeks that have slipped away without my reading my friends' posts, or writing on my own blog.
 The night after my last post, I met with my daughter and her boyfriend who arrived from Houston for a short visit. We met with my son and his girlfriend in Seattle, and a lone friend of my son's at my son's pad. We went for a lovely dinner at a harbor side restaurant on the piers of Seattle. My daughter picked up the tab which I know was over $200. Really? Really? Bless her heart. We had a great time and I got to know her boyfriend a bit better. Their next chapter in life is moving into together when they return to Houston. During a quiet conversation she and I had, she reminded me, this is the first time she lived with a guy, she's always had female housemates...true...so, I only felt it fair to ask him at one point, as an upcoming medical student with future student loan debts and many years of financial hardships ahead of his earning years, "how do you intend to support my daughter?" (laugh here as my daughter sat in the backseat of the car, rolling her eyes at my question...) He politely smiled and said his loans come with food and board stipends, etc...plus, he may get part time work for extra income. As a mom and dad here, I know if my daughter can pick up a $200 dinner tab for six and has her student loans almost paid off after four short years, she doesn't need a man to support her. I just wanted to see him sweat a little, and he did. (smile here). So, my daughter is in a serious relationship and will be co habitating with a guy. I am happy for that. Can you wager a guess that I support this decision as even after a long term relationship, marriages can end quickly? Test the water and see if you sink or swim. That's my take on it. Her life, her decision, her successes or her failures...that is life. She is a strong, smart, pretty young woman of 26. (sigh here, cannot believe I have a 27, 26 and 23 year old.)
 My eldest, the 27 year old son, seems good. Jobless, but he works hard at construction and Mr. Fix It jobs at this time. He is thinking of starting a construction company as he is swamped with work. He impresses me with his knack of doing plumbing repairs to building decks, (all to standard codes), to custom tile work, to painting...and the list goes on and on. He left his marketing management job a couple of months ago due to working 50 to 60 hours per week for 30 hour per week pay. Good for him!! I would call that man at random times in the evening or at night, and he was, so often, leaving a job or still working. He deserved better. I think he has an internal, entrepreneurial mind and heart. I have bragged often about him as being able to sell the Brooklyn Bridge if needed. (smile here). I like his girlfriend. She seems good for him and seems uplifting and sweet. As a mom, it is amazing to see your children turn into adults and develop their lives.Truly amazing.
 I have continued to be connected with Derek in that special, bonded way. He is a great person. I recently texted him and typed, "maybe someday I can ban tinfoil." (that references a prior post, July 8th, 2011.) I have also gone out with my other guy friend a few times, but I have been so busy with work, Toastmaster's and helping my friend with her reorganization projects, that he and I have only met up a few times. Good for me, for keeping busy.
 I have two girlfriends coming this weekend for a couple of days, and am looking forward to that. I love these irons in the fire...and I hope not to get burned.
 My view for my children's endeavors changes for them and their dreams, and my view towards Derek changes. I look at him in a softer light. But, my tinfoil protects my heart, still. That is okay.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It's a changing world and sometime we change as we gain experience and age a bit. We can't live our children's lives for them and it's good when we can share in their ideas and hopes &
aspirations. It's good when we see our own hopes come into fruition and we can enjoy some of the good things life has to offer. And sometimes we have to hold on to that which is dear to us, and keep on keeping on. Me, I'm trying to hoooold on. Cheers.
kden said…
I feel like I've just started on the journey of parenthood and relationships. It's all new to me. I used to be able to tell her how things work but matters of the heart are things she will just have to learn on her own. It sounds like your children are doing well ;-)