Window Seat

 The month of August has been rather interesting, in a quiet, observing way. I feel like I am sitting on a window seat in front of a large pane of glass...watching...with others not seeing my form. I have been seeing life scamper in front of my friends and family. I have read of good and bad happenings for people, on their social pages. I have had many conversations with folks who share mishaps and happy endings. Surprises catch us off guard. They aren't always a happy birthday party or a spontaneous get a way. Sometimes surprises create duress and emergencies. Quite often, there is no cushion of comfort. That is life, isn't it? Always good and bad for everyone.
 The cushions you surround yourself with depend on the planning you've had the foresight to estimate. Saving money in a bank account is a common cushion...a desired cushion. The people who cushion your life and add comfort, are usually your family and friends. Some we can choose, some we cannot. They are there with us, and we can grab hold if needed. They are like pillows on a bench. Different forms, different comfort levels, different arrays of color and texture. Some, we'd prefer to toss out the window, but something urges us to hang onto them. As humans, we have difficulty in tossing out inanimate items that have an emotional attachment, whether we need them or not. We continue to clutch them.."just in case".  We often do that with the people in our lives, too.
 My friend Mark passed away a couple of weeks ago. He never made it back home. He passed in the hospital in Washington. (sigh here). His mother and some family members were here for his passing. That is good. I feel bad for his mother and daughters. What a horrible situation, to be so far away and so uncertain of it all. My other friend is recuperating and is at home. I am glad for my friend, Jean. When I went to see him for the first time and met his wife, (my friend), Jean, in the lobby, in a rare, emotional moment, she stated to me, "I don't think I am ready to loose him yet." Thank God she hasn't.
 As the Executor of my mother's Estate, I cannot complain about the ordeal. I have been in communication with the family, and everyone seems satisfied with the handling of it all and are respectful of my position. Not always an easy task, especially since I am accountable to eight other people. I have heard many a horror story on this type of situation tearing family members apart. I don't foresee that as an issue. Unfortunately, the house did not sell. We were approached by the good, standing neighbor about renting it to his son and granddaughter. My family is in agreement to have a six month lease as it didn't have any sales offers. Heck, it only had two people look at it, even after I lowered the price 10k. I recently met with the renter and found a lease for us to sign. He will be moving in September 1st. This will be my learning curve on being a landlord. I am okay with this, as my dream is to be a real estate mogul.Yes, a far away, far away dream. (laugh here). This decision, is at least, offering us a cushion to offset the minimal expenses for the water, sewer and electricity, (and annual taxes), paid out each month.
 My Toastmaster friends are my favorite pillows on my window seat. Support, encouragement and respect are fostered. One of them, a doctor, sent me an email requesting I work for her on September 7th, 10th and 11th with some simple office tasks she needs assistance in completing. I accepted her offer. The job search continues and I did have another interview as an Office Support Person at Macy's. I received a "no thanks" letter. Another blow to my ego. (sigh here). That was okay as it was only part time. However, I am smart enough to know, a big corporation often career ladders part time help into full time help. That avenue is still open with other job postings.
 I was able to hang out with my youngest son, yesterday. (smile here). His girlfriend moved into her own house and hosted an Open House Party. I had a short conversation with my son, about whether he was planning on moving in with her. He hinted she would like that, but he is unsure of that move. They have been in love for a year and half. I was proud to hear my son share with me, he has a nice cushion  in a savings account, right now. (clap here).  I met her family for the first time and saw one of my nephews from my first marriage. He and I had a great visit, also. It was a lovely evening.
 The weather in Western Washington has been very nice, and often, hot, as of late. Summer finally arrived at the end of July. Now, people are putting up firewood in preparation for fall and winter. Good for them for having a cushion.

Comments

kden said…
What a great post today! A great analogy of the cushions in our life. So sorry to hear about Mark; I'm sure he was very conforted that he had you as a friend nearby, his cushion.

I was the executor to my Grandmother's will. For some reason she changed it at the last minute and I, at age 23 was pretty clueless. I'm glad it's going well for you.
Claire M. King said…
Thanks kden. I am grteful you are still around to read my posts. I appreciate your patience.
Anonymous said…
A thoughtful post on living. How clever you are to label our support systems and safety valves as cushions. I would never have thought to do so. Sometime life is cruel, sometime it's sweet, often somewhere in between. You've been roughed up and tossed around. I'm hoping life dishes you up some sweet dessert. Fingers crossed.
Claire M. King said…
Bless your heart, bill. Actually, some things have been a challenge, but when I look at the less fortunate, I am still sitting pretty good. Especially in comparison to people like my sister. Her choices in life are so much more limited. Thank goodness she is doing ok.

Popular posts from this blog

Curve Ball-First Pitch

The Observation Deck

Pane of Pain