Pigeon Poop: Pile #4

 Oh yes, I had to get that shovel back out of the shed. I have had to deal with pigeon poop smacking my pathway. I have skipped through some, jumped over some and landed right in the middle of some. I am doing my best to work my way through all of it.
 My other friend, Lloyd, Jean's husband, passed away two Sundays ago. I woke up on Sunday morning and checked a message she had left on my cell phone. Through choked tears, she said he passed away after midnight. I called her immediately, at 8:36 am, when I listened to the message. I was to her house later. Her son has been staying with them for a couple of weeks and had intended on doing so, in order to help care for Lloyd, so Jean could work, without worry. The son had decided not to contract fishing in Alaska this winter. lloyd is not the one in need of care right now, it is Jean. (sigh here).
 When I drove my hour to that ole' small town of where I had worked for so long, I called her cell. She was at a local Safeway store and said to meet her at the house. I went to Safeway instead. I saw her immediately talking with a caregiver...of which I had supervised and now, she does. After hugs and a quick discussion, I purchased a few groceries and went to her house. Her son sat on the stoop. I introduced myself but he had already gotten a call from Jean, saying I was arriving. So, he knew who I was, but seemed surprised...later, I learned his thought, "Here comes this tall, good looking woman and it wasn't for me, it was for mom." We laughed about that, on more than one occasion.
 When, "I am sorry", "I am here for you", don't seem enough, you just do it. I spent the night there and listened to their stories; the way Lloyd had passed, the family and friends calling all day, and Jean, a wise story teller, relating to me who had called and how they were connected to the family. I was impressed with her composure. I had agreed to work on the 10th and 11th, so I left their house at 6:30am on Monday, in order to go to my temporary job in Olympia. I went back to her home on Wednesday and stayed for a week. I attended the Celebration of Lloyd's Life Party with them, and Jean was so grateful for my presence, as I was for hers. I was so proud that all of the staff from my former agency were present. We practically filled the deck. The guest book indicates 67 people passed through the door that day with condolences.  I know how much that meant to her.
 I went back to their house that evening. Not only was I there for her sounding board purposes, me and her son removed the old Formica from her bath tub surround in order to re tile it with fresh materials. This started because of a leaky pipe and rotting plywood, that started several days  prior. She couldn't even go in and take a bath with peace of mind. That became my new objective. I wanted Jean to be able to take a bath with a serene setting. We finished the tiling project and repiping, now my next step is to add the new shower curtains, rugs, towels, candles and such. I teased her and said it will, eventually, be a retreat. She loves her baths and never takes a shower. I want her to do this in comfort and style. I will accomplish this when I can. The important part is done. The tile surrounding the bathtub looks nice and her son and I worked laborously for days, to complete the project. It was done with a lot of love. She is extactic.
 I ended up in the emergency room a couple of Fridays ago. My blood pressure was way out of control and my friend insisted I go. Yee haw, can't wait to get that bill! (laugh here).
 I continue job searching and applying tools I have learned to my resume, in hopes that someone will notice what a strong employee I will be.
 Tomorrow will be a lovely day as I am going to take a long drive and meet kden...yes, our blogger friend. (smile here).

Comments

Anonymous said…
The world keeps going round and day by day, you keep revealing your many talents. First thing we know you will be hiring out as a remodeling specialist. I keep hoping you'll find the perfect guy or latch on to the perfect job, or both. I hope you and friend Kden have a good time.
kden said…
I'm sorry I didn't read this until after I got home ;-) You are a good friend to help out people in need. Ah yes those ER visits can add up. At least mine was paid for by the blood bank. Hope your bp has come down and stayed that way. I had a nice time today, it was sure good to see you again. Thanks again for coffee and lunch.
Claire M. King said…
You are welcome kden. I enjoyed it, too.

Popular posts from this blog

Curve Ball-First Pitch

The Observation Deck

Pane of Pain