Beyond The Glass
It surprises me how this computer consumes my time while job searching. I will start my on line searches and then recognize four hours has passed by. The feeling of, "all for naught" trickles through my mind. I received another rejection letter the other day. The HR sender wrote a nice letter stating that they had 200 applicants apply for the same job and unfortunately, mine did not get processed to the next step. (sigh here). I shall persevere. I have tried to open my mind to settle for "lesser" jobs, such as a retail job at a local department store, and am ready to complete applications with local employment agencies for just about anything. The first step was searching out the 15 local agencies and calling each one of them. A few are no longer in business, so I believe there are about a dozen in my area. I had to go to my storage unit and find my social security card as they require proof of citizenship and ability to be employed in the US. That was not an easy task to hover and dig through boxes of paperwork at that safekeeping space.
I continue to force myself to escape the house and look for things to do that don't suck my wallet dry. A few nights ago my friend organized a girl's night out where we met at a local restaurant and after the meal, went to the Washington Center for the Performing Arts, here in this capitol city, and watched the Seattle Comedy Contest. The troop travels to different towns to perform. In speaking with someone, we learned the group started out with 33 competitors and each week, they perform at different venues in the region. Each competition is judged by a panel then 5 comedians are eliminated after each show. We were entertained by ten comedians. The five gals were all Toastmasters together, though I am the only, current, active one with the club. See the friendships I have forged? We had a nice time.
When my friend KP took me to the local Red Lion Hotel a few weeks back to have dinner and listen to a jazz band, it opened up another forum of getting out. How impressive; decent meal prices, relaxing atmosphere, great service and was introduced to some of her long time friends that played with her husband in their jazz era days. Her husband was a well known jazz pianist who has played with the likes of Duke Ellington, Red Kelly and primarily, Harry James, etc...apparently, well known. I have heard many stories and viewed many pictures of his good ole days. It is fascinating. Google Jack Perciful if you care to see his legacy. One of the links takes you right to the Seattle Times article of his death in 2007.
My friend, KP, is nothing but kind, interesting and a blessing. I am truly grateful for her and our developing friendship. Thank goodness I met her at Toastmasters and was teamed up with her in my first 1.5yrs to do Public Relations for the club. She quit coming to our club in early 2012, due to a personal choice and seeking other hobbies. I nudge her to rejoin, but that is something she will decide. She is also looking at other volunteer clubs. Her and her husband started a Scholarship Fund at South Puget Sound Community College years ago. KP was very active with the foundation, but due to a sadness and all after his passing, she quit participating with the group on a physical basis. She is renewing that activity now, again. Glad to see her being active.
I decided I needed to get out of the house, after a day of computer activity and sheer boredom, yesterday. So I went to the Red Lion Hotel to listen to the jazz music, despite two of my friends being unavailable to go with me. I am a big girl, and savor the, "do what I please", notion. So I sat in the lounge in a comfortable chair near the fireplace, notebook in hand to jot down items of importance to me, as well as creating next week's to do list. I chatted with several people and the waiter recognized me from my prior visit and did a fabulous job serving me and making me feel welcome and comfortable. The short bass player remembered me and came and sat with me during his breaks a few times, and introduced me to some of his fans that were present. Of course I chatted with them at length. I guess I am good at that and can strike up a conversation with just about anybody. I stayed until the band finished playing at 11:30pm, though they don't start until 8:30pm. I wouldn't want my friends to think I was there for hours and hours. (smile here). At the end of the last set, the bass player came and sat with me and visited for quite a while. He is the same gent I referenced a while back, the short guy. (laugh here.)
It turned out to be nice evening. My friend is going to try and come from my ole stomping ground in a few weeks to join me. After all, me and roomie have a nice spare bedroom and she can sleep over. (smile here.) She is the one who lost her husband in September. She definitely needs to get out and relax.
I continue to force myself to escape the house and look for things to do that don't suck my wallet dry. A few nights ago my friend organized a girl's night out where we met at a local restaurant and after the meal, went to the Washington Center for the Performing Arts, here in this capitol city, and watched the Seattle Comedy Contest. The troop travels to different towns to perform. In speaking with someone, we learned the group started out with 33 competitors and each week, they perform at different venues in the region. Each competition is judged by a panel then 5 comedians are eliminated after each show. We were entertained by ten comedians. The five gals were all Toastmasters together, though I am the only, current, active one with the club. See the friendships I have forged? We had a nice time.
When my friend KP took me to the local Red Lion Hotel a few weeks back to have dinner and listen to a jazz band, it opened up another forum of getting out. How impressive; decent meal prices, relaxing atmosphere, great service and was introduced to some of her long time friends that played with her husband in their jazz era days. Her husband was a well known jazz pianist who has played with the likes of Duke Ellington, Red Kelly and primarily, Harry James, etc...apparently, well known. I have heard many stories and viewed many pictures of his good ole days. It is fascinating. Google Jack Perciful if you care to see his legacy. One of the links takes you right to the Seattle Times article of his death in 2007.
My friend, KP, is nothing but kind, interesting and a blessing. I am truly grateful for her and our developing friendship. Thank goodness I met her at Toastmasters and was teamed up with her in my first 1.5yrs to do Public Relations for the club. She quit coming to our club in early 2012, due to a personal choice and seeking other hobbies. I nudge her to rejoin, but that is something she will decide. She is also looking at other volunteer clubs. Her and her husband started a Scholarship Fund at South Puget Sound Community College years ago. KP was very active with the foundation, but due to a sadness and all after his passing, she quit participating with the group on a physical basis. She is renewing that activity now, again. Glad to see her being active.
I decided I needed to get out of the house, after a day of computer activity and sheer boredom, yesterday. So I went to the Red Lion Hotel to listen to the jazz music, despite two of my friends being unavailable to go with me. I am a big girl, and savor the, "do what I please", notion. So I sat in the lounge in a comfortable chair near the fireplace, notebook in hand to jot down items of importance to me, as well as creating next week's to do list. I chatted with several people and the waiter recognized me from my prior visit and did a fabulous job serving me and making me feel welcome and comfortable. The short bass player remembered me and came and sat with me during his breaks a few times, and introduced me to some of his fans that were present. Of course I chatted with them at length. I guess I am good at that and can strike up a conversation with just about anybody. I stayed until the band finished playing at 11:30pm, though they don't start until 8:30pm. I wouldn't want my friends to think I was there for hours and hours. (smile here). At the end of the last set, the bass player came and sat with me and visited for quite a while. He is the same gent I referenced a while back, the short guy. (laugh here.)
It turned out to be nice evening. My friend is going to try and come from my ole stomping ground in a few weeks to join me. After all, me and roomie have a nice spare bedroom and she can sleep over. (smile here.) She is the one who lost her husband in September. She definitely needs to get out and relax.
Comments
Sorry to hear about the rejection letter too, just not right...