Curve Ball-A Hit

 The job searches continue and I have personally turned in some application packets, in hopes of meeting the right person with the hiring status. No such luck. I think Human Resource folks are well protected during companies' hiring splurges. I have been told time and again, they would contact me should I warrant an interview. (sigh here). I am not happy with the three staffing agencies I have registered with, either.
 I have a couple of friends that send me links within their organizations of new job postings. Unfortunately, they don't have enough clout with their "powers that be," to convince them of my capabilities and scheduling an interview. So, I just keep on keepin' on, (as our, dear, bill would say). (smile here).
 During these decision making processes, I decided to do something worthwhile. I figured; rather than spending endless hours in this room absorbed by cyber space, not only do I need to keep being social on occasion, but I need to keep my secretarial and networking skills sharpened. So, I applied to become a volunteer at a local non-profit organization, specifying administration and secretarial work. A former Toastmaster member suggested I call because of my skills in officer and leadership roles. The organization boasts of helping people fight oppression and supports victims of domestic violence. It has a wonderful reputation. I applied for this work before Christmas and was scheduled for an interview the beginning of the new year.
 The interviewer's name was Jace and he is the Volunteer Coordinator for Safeplace, Olympia. We had a fantastic interview and he was impressed with my verbal quiz. He respected my background as a former supervisor and felt I was walking into this with more knowledge and experience than most. I was a strong advocate for the former company, and he admired my Toastmasters participation and commented on my potential group speaking. Another piece of common ground was his teaching himself the "Publisher" program last summer, at which time I did, to create club newsletters. We decided we could teach each other a thing or two and I offered my assistance anytime for his publications. He also appreciated knowing Nicki, my former club member, and her recommendation of my seeking them out. She had been a respected secretary on their board for eight years.
 We discussed potential paying positions within the group and there wasn't any at this time, however, he strongly suggested keeping my eye on the website. They promote within for career laddering positions but  have openings when a position is vacated. I am scheduled to attend their mandatory training at the start of February. I cannot volunteer at any capacity until that is completed. It happens to be a Washington State certified training course. That may look good on the ole' resume.
 I met with the director of Safeplace to discuss my board of director's application, Thursday. (Yep, I turned in two apps there.) I think she was pleased with my past work experience and she confirmed no paying positions available at this time. She introduced keeping me in mind, should she cross paths with a potential employer.
 During my venture of finding new digs, I earmarked many emails not getting responses. I have been very upfront and honest with roomie of my viewings and potential places. I believe in keeping her in the loop for good faith purposes.
 I did get a call from a lady and was able to schedule an appointment late last Saturday, after her other scheduled showings. She has two rooms for rent.
Linda: as a matter of fact, her home was only a few miles from Bryan's in Tumwater. When I arrived for my 5pm appointment, I could see through the window, two women in conversation sitting on the couch. I rang the doorbell and waited for a greeting. Upon the door opening several minutes later, they both nicely apologized for keeping me waiting in the cold and I exchanged a "no problem," in return. The younger gal stepped off the porch and headed to her car. Linda invited me in.
 Walking into this home was like walking into my dream home. A new stretch of "in house real estate" spread before me and my mind was expressing, "I wanna live here, I wanna live here." Peace and admiration swept over me. Then the tour began. A large living room is situated by an open concept dining room and kitchen. An expanse of lovely granite counter tops and new cupboards revealed plenty of space for three women to share nicely. Up the stairs we went, and she proudly showed me the utility room with new machines, the LARGE bedrooms and LARGE shared bathroom for me and the other tenant. Her master suite was farther down the hall. Then, she said, "Let me show you the upper floor." (The what?)
 We walk up a short flight of stairs to the 1/2 floor which houses a wet bar and a HUGE storage closet. "Let me show you the rooftop patio." (The what?) She flings open a door and we step onto a LARGE rooftop patio with a view of the Capitol Dome, Mt. Rainier and the Cascades. Lovely, just lovely! Now my brain wasn't just expressing; "I wanna live here, I wanna live here," it was downright yelling at me; "I wanna live here, I wanna live here." 1)Problem:there is none with the space. Room is $425 per month, about $75 each for utilities in cold months, and a $500 refundable deposit. She moved in recently so furnishings are sparse and she would gladly welcome as much of my furniture as possible. I could at least downsize my storage unit and costs until the garage was available for the remaining items. I am required to turn in a tenant application with a $45 fee, covering the background check and the credit check. During our pleasant conversation, I told her I could pass any background check out there given my past work history and never having a criminal offense. CCS has some of the toughest out there. I was upfront about my credit being bad and she didn't seem to feel that was an automatic dis-qualifier. She just needs assurance I'll pay my rent. I also informed her Jill was writing a letter of reference for me and I would pass that on ASAP. I left her home with application in hand and new determination. Then I did a thing of whim.
 I parked in a store parking lot and texted Bryan to see if he was availalbe to talk. Permission granted, I called him to share the latest space viewing with him. He simply said he wanted me to find a place that I'd find comfortable. A couple of times he cheered and explained he was watching a playoff game on the big screen, alone, in his ass freezing, cold, man cave. After a brief chat, I offered to bring a bottle of wine and watch the game with him. He said, "I happen to be in the mood for a bottle of wine."
 I feel I was up to bat and got some hits.

Comments

kden said…
Is this a new reality show (tastefully done) or a chapter out of your new book? Either way I'm waiting for the next installment.
Grumpy said…
"...got some hits." Is that a euphemism?

The 60" TV trumps the granite counter tops and views.
Claire M. King said…
Ha! kden...funny. I am glad you think it would make a tasteful reality show, at least. Thanks.Grumpy, figures the big TV would float your boat. Guess that's why you're a guy and I'm a girl.
Claire M. King said…
"Got some hits", grumpy simply means I had some good thing happen.
john bain said…
Was it mulled wine? Did you take a heater with you to his cold place? Why has the last paragraph intrigued me?
Claire M. King said…
Not mulled wine, just Merlot. No heater needed as I am a warm person. Ha! I am glad you are intrigued, by the way. May have been my purpose.

Popular posts from this blog

Curve Ball-First Pitch

The Observation Deck

Pane of Pain