Curve Ball-Strike Out
I met with Linda again on a Thursday night to turn in my application and $45 fee. The new tenant, Mary was present and we took some time to size each other up and carried on a great conversation, I facilitating it with my normal ease. I felt elated upon leaving. However, in the days that followed, not only did she follow through with calling my references, she emailed me on two other occasions requesting documentation to feel more secure about renting to someone who is unemployed. My retirement account funding, the apartment complex reference of which I had to go out of my way to confirm about, write and deliver a release letter about, have roomie sign her reference letter, and agree to an outline of all of the "in House" rules, and a copy of my driver's license, and a few other things...which I understand her reasoning for her request. I am unemployed and my credit isn't very good. But some of the things were a bit invasive, especially when my friends told me of the questions she asked them. She wanted to know how each of them and I met, asked a bunch of other out of the ordinary questions. She asked my friend KP, "when do you think she'll get a job?" Really? Really?
On the following day, Friday, I texted Bryan to see if he could talk. He was, and I called him simply to invite him over for dinner. We scheduled the 6pm meal for Saturday. My errands before hitting the store included picking up 1600 thank you notes for an acquaintance. She was going to pay me $150 for signing her name to them, as she doesn't have the time with her work schedule and new business development and planning. She is a friend of KP's. I informed roomie of my dinner guest and she actually grinned so big, clapped her hands and did a little skip. Apparently when I talked of our parlays, she noticed my exuberant explanations. I hadn't elaborated all details to her, as our friendship isn't THAT deep. She had plans for the evening anyway, so interference wasn't an issue. Which played no difference to me. I simply was trying to do something nice for him and cook him a home cooked meal. It went fine. Nothing of great relevance here. We did watch TV and converse long into the night. He did stay over, but again, the intimacy was limited. He just feels nice to be next to, and that is ok.
This last week continued par for the course. Bryan and I haven't communicated until tonight via text messaging to say hello.
Last Friday, my day started great as Linda called and said I could move in. I was so happy. Then we discussed a deposit of which I said I could turn in on Wednesday. She questioned that, hesitated about that, we discussed my move in on February 1st. I told her I was already arranging for help with muscle and trucks. That same night, I went to one of our girlie gatherings at my friend Mel's house. There were 8 women present eating good food, having a glass of wine and playing board games. It was delightful. Upon my leaving and getting into my car, I checked messages and saw that Linda had called and requested a return call, which I did. She changed her mind! We had a pleasant discussion and she ended with, "It really just boils down to you not having a job." Really? Really? She knew that from the get go and now I am upset and frustrated that I jumped through those hoops and paid her a $45 nonrefundable fee for putting me through this shit. Oh well, I am done and have decided if for some reason, she calls with a change of heart, I'll say no thanks anyway. My friend KP said, "Imagine what she'd be like to live with."
Needless to say, I had a discussion with roomie and notified her I'd be here until February 28th. I think she's relieved too.
So now I feel like I have struck out on all, "at bats." But that is the game. Ya win some, ya loose some. I guess I am applying this practice for next time, on all counts.
On the following day, Friday, I texted Bryan to see if he could talk. He was, and I called him simply to invite him over for dinner. We scheduled the 6pm meal for Saturday. My errands before hitting the store included picking up 1600 thank you notes for an acquaintance. She was going to pay me $150 for signing her name to them, as she doesn't have the time with her work schedule and new business development and planning. She is a friend of KP's. I informed roomie of my dinner guest and she actually grinned so big, clapped her hands and did a little skip. Apparently when I talked of our parlays, she noticed my exuberant explanations. I hadn't elaborated all details to her, as our friendship isn't THAT deep. She had plans for the evening anyway, so interference wasn't an issue. Which played no difference to me. I simply was trying to do something nice for him and cook him a home cooked meal. It went fine. Nothing of great relevance here. We did watch TV and converse long into the night. He did stay over, but again, the intimacy was limited. He just feels nice to be next to, and that is ok.
This last week continued par for the course. Bryan and I haven't communicated until tonight via text messaging to say hello.
Last Friday, my day started great as Linda called and said I could move in. I was so happy. Then we discussed a deposit of which I said I could turn in on Wednesday. She questioned that, hesitated about that, we discussed my move in on February 1st. I told her I was already arranging for help with muscle and trucks. That same night, I went to one of our girlie gatherings at my friend Mel's house. There were 8 women present eating good food, having a glass of wine and playing board games. It was delightful. Upon my leaving and getting into my car, I checked messages and saw that Linda had called and requested a return call, which I did. She changed her mind! We had a pleasant discussion and she ended with, "It really just boils down to you not having a job." Really? Really? She knew that from the get go and now I am upset and frustrated that I jumped through those hoops and paid her a $45 nonrefundable fee for putting me through this shit. Oh well, I am done and have decided if for some reason, she calls with a change of heart, I'll say no thanks anyway. My friend KP said, "Imagine what she'd be like to live with."
Needless to say, I had a discussion with roomie and notified her I'd be here until February 28th. I think she's relieved too.
So now I feel like I have struck out on all, "at bats." But that is the game. Ya win some, ya loose some. I guess I am applying this practice for next time, on all counts.
Comments
By the way Claire MCKing. Are you a Scot?
Everything will work out fine in the end. Just don't walk under any pigeons!