Humbled In My Chair
My brain really is getting fried and tired of all these job applications I am filling out. I have even dropped off some application packets in person, which didn't help a bit. The three temp agencies I am registered with have not called me once. I called them, and they basically put you off by saying, "We'll call you when a job is posted that fits your skills."
I did have an interview on Monday with a local mom and pops roofing company in need of an office assistant. I feel the interview went well, but I am not hanging my hat on hope, either. The co-owner told me she was concerned I was overqualified and they couldn't offer me a pay even close to my old salary and they cannot offer benefits. I did my best to dis sway that opinion in a proper fashion.
I started looking at Craig's List again for a room to rent and so many of them want a roommate ASAP. I will reboot my search this weekend.
I have been attending a mandatory training for SafePlace, Olympia which is a non profit organization for assault and domestic violence victims. It is the facility of which I applied as a volunteer and officer on their Board of Directors. (I posted of this recently.) I did this because I decided to get out of this house more often and keep my administration skills loose and useable. The training is intense and I have learned so much in these four days. Some of the topics are "triggers" for me from my first marriage, which involved physical and emotional abuse from the ex. I tolerated this for 10 years until I finally had enough and started the steps on a path of escape with my children. (sigh here.) This is a whole lot of chapters or posts to be written at some point in my life.
In attending these trainings, I have to keep reminding myself this advocacy is different than the advocacy I utilized as a supervisor with my former employer. This advocacy is assisting people with more helplessness in many ways. They have a victim mentality, and as an in home care supervisor, my client's helplessness revolved around physical or mental disabilities. The gambit was some could help themselves, and some could not. The form of oppression that comes from these violent crimes is different. A film I watched in training had a victim's interview describing the horrible act. She finished by saying the perpetrator didn't just rape her physically, he took away her soul. That really got to my gut.
So, here I am in my room and at the trainings thinking my problems are not severe anymore. I am strong enough to make choices and take action. I will do my best to quit sniveling about life, as there are always those worse off. I am humbled as I sit in my chair and remember this.
Comments