Schlepping in Seattle-Arrival
I eventually did find the destination of which I had been searching. Of course, Gia landed me on a corner of the mega-plex not even close to the northwest rooms. I didn't know this until I hustled my way through this vast expanse of cement and structures, now walking as fast as possible to find these obscure rooms before time ran out. I couldn't miss my chance on finding a potential employer, ya know.
After aimlessly wandering through this park like area in search of the fair, I had to stop several people and show them my printed directions in hope of their deliverance of accurate directions to the rooms. Some of the Center's site staff didn't even know where they were. All of the maps of the Center did not have one building or spot marked with "northwest rooms." After another half hour of schlepping my way around, I found the building with one small banner naming it, northwest rooms. Not one sandwich board, sign or balloon hung anywhere in this sea of facilities marking the way for any attendee to this career fair. Really? Really?
I went into the building and checked in at the registration desk. I politely told them it was a shame there was no signage anywhere for people to find them easily. Frustration was replaced with anticipation upon entering the room, but quickly faded to disappointment. There was only 15 banquet tables sporting company signs and logos with table fulls of brochures. Many of the tables were not occupied at all. I took a deep breath and convinced myself to make the best of the situation after going through this hassle. I generously chatted with a few of the company reps only to discover that there was no job opportunities here, unless you were into sales. A few people were nice enough to take my resume with a (false) promise to get it to the right person, as administration offices may be in search of positions to be filled. Of course, I took some of their brochures and information in a show towards being a good sport.
One person struck me as very genuine and was a rep for a college that was new to the area. In line with some AA & BA programs, they focused on specialty courses. During her explanation of another facility being opened this year near Fife, (located between Olympia and Seattle), she actually had a sensible suggestion of applying at the upcoming campus site, as they would need to hire employees to run the joint. So, I did take information on it and some potential, courses for myself.
After my short viewing of the "fair," I left with my next destination in mind. I was going to my son's house, and upon his arrival home from work, we were going to dinner per arrangement with a phone call last night. The below pictures are shots I took just before I got to my car to leave. They are taken with my cell phone, which obviously, doesn't make for a good camera. Despite my driving resentment of this city, I do admire the atmosphere.
At least I had arrived and completed task #1 here. Now, to go back to the car and see if Gia could help me find my son's home. At least there would be less pressure from me during our next debates. I had hours to kill before my date with my son.
![]() |
| EMP Museum |
![]() |
| EMP Museum and street shot. |


Comments