Settled on a Situation
An old high school bud and I had reconnected on facebook last year. She and I had an occasion to get together and enjoy a cup of java together at a local coffee shop. She joined me at a Toastmasters meting and ended up joining the club. She participated for a couple of months, but has taken an absence. I emailed her a couple of times to do a well check. She was just very busy with life in general, and working early meant Tuesdays was putting in a 13 hour day by the time the club meetings adjourned. We earmarked trying to catch up over coffee again.
I believe in one of my emails to her, I noted I was still job searching and had to move because of landlord's circumstances. She nicely told me, if I needed a place to stay for awhile, she had an extra room. How sweet! She called one evening a week ago, and we ended up having a very long discussion. She had a proposition for me. As life has overwhelmed her with physical problems and some bouts of depression, she decided she'd like to offer me the master bedroom for renting. The first month would be free if I help her reorganize her household and de-clutter her space. She kept forewarning me how horrible it is. We scheduled a viewing last Saturday.
Her house is darling and only two miles away. (Makes my move easier.) Her house is not the disaster she proclaimed, and I explained nothing scared me about the job. After March, $500 per month rent to be charged including utilities. With pre-negotiations, I can work down a bit of the rental cost as agreed between us for doing lawn care, extra duties and helping to reorganize the remaining room/office and garage. What a win win situation! I feel horrible that my old basketball teammate has endured cancer and those treatments, and three back surgeries in the last few years. She is going through financial difficulties and my income would help her pocketbook as well.
I went back to her house on Sunday and we worked for six hours. We almost have the master bedroom cleaned out, her new bedroom reorganized, and the third bedroom; the office, now has a clear space for walking and room for organization. Eventually, she would like a bed placed in there as a guest room along with the office set up.
I have learned over the past few years that I am very motivating and good at helping people with these types of cleaning and organizing situations. I don't make them feel crummy about their collections and messes. It is normal, you know? She was so happy by the end of the day on Sunday, she said, "I can't even imagine allowing anyone else to come into my house like this. I've been so embarrassed I never have company. When me and my daughter try to do these projects, she stresses me out and we end up not getting along."
I am happy this situation came along. I feel it will help her get out of her shell more, and for me, just feels like a nice situation. I am hoping by March 1st to have all of my belongings hauled over and the storage unit either emptied or downsized. Unfortunately, 2/28 is a Thursday and 3/1 is a Friday. Limits the help I can recruit as everyone is working. But I can do most of it by myself during the day, and a friend offered to help me after his day job is done. I am still ironing out the details. But, it is nice to have this situation settled.
I believe in one of my emails to her, I noted I was still job searching and had to move because of landlord's circumstances. She nicely told me, if I needed a place to stay for awhile, she had an extra room. How sweet! She called one evening a week ago, and we ended up having a very long discussion. She had a proposition for me. As life has overwhelmed her with physical problems and some bouts of depression, she decided she'd like to offer me the master bedroom for renting. The first month would be free if I help her reorganize her household and de-clutter her space. She kept forewarning me how horrible it is. We scheduled a viewing last Saturday.
Her house is darling and only two miles away. (Makes my move easier.) Her house is not the disaster she proclaimed, and I explained nothing scared me about the job. After March, $500 per month rent to be charged including utilities. With pre-negotiations, I can work down a bit of the rental cost as agreed between us for doing lawn care, extra duties and helping to reorganize the remaining room/office and garage. What a win win situation! I feel horrible that my old basketball teammate has endured cancer and those treatments, and three back surgeries in the last few years. She is going through financial difficulties and my income would help her pocketbook as well.
I went back to her house on Sunday and we worked for six hours. We almost have the master bedroom cleaned out, her new bedroom reorganized, and the third bedroom; the office, now has a clear space for walking and room for organization. Eventually, she would like a bed placed in there as a guest room along with the office set up.
I have learned over the past few years that I am very motivating and good at helping people with these types of cleaning and organizing situations. I don't make them feel crummy about their collections and messes. It is normal, you know? She was so happy by the end of the day on Sunday, she said, "I can't even imagine allowing anyone else to come into my house like this. I've been so embarrassed I never have company. When me and my daughter try to do these projects, she stresses me out and we end up not getting along."
I am happy this situation came along. I feel it will help her get out of her shell more, and for me, just feels like a nice situation. I am hoping by March 1st to have all of my belongings hauled over and the storage unit either emptied or downsized. Unfortunately, 2/28 is a Thursday and 3/1 is a Friday. Limits the help I can recruit as everyone is working. But I can do most of it by myself during the day, and a friend offered to help me after his day job is done. I am still ironing out the details. But, it is nice to have this situation settled.
Comments
You've got some real talent and a can do spirit that ought to serve you well. I've still got my finger crossed for a good job for you and I know that and a buck and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee if you shop around.
Good luck with all you're doing.