Societal View
I have been learning a lot of information from my advocacy training for SafePlace, Olympia. I have learned about society myths surrounding the crimes of rape, assault and domestic violence. My work as an advocate for my former employer was different than this traumatic work. Here, you believe the caller or visitor reporting the assault to you, without hesitation. Formerly, I had to complete fact finding missions when a client or employee reported an allegation. I still have tendencies to ask questions while role playing, and that is taboo. We do not want to make the victim feel, for one second, they aren't believed. Only a small percentage of these crimes are reported anyway. It's horrible the shame that society has burdened victims with. Especially children and men;straight or gay. Remember the sagas of the Catholic Priests molesting and sexually assaulting so many boys? We have discussed that topic on more than one occasion. The impact of sexual, verbal or mental abuse put forth on people, is everlasting.
I actually got up from the training yesterday and stepped outside. This practice is welcomed or encouraged by the trainers should you have triggers or get uncomfortable with a topic. When the topic revolved around children abuse, and questions arising as to why women don't leave these situations, I got torn up after stating a case that often, women aren't financially sound enough to go out on their own with children. I also reminded everyone, that often, the woman takes on two roles, the mom and the dad, in a last ditch effort to maintain stability for kids. (sigh here).It probably is a backwards way of looking at it. Exposing kids to this trauma creates a longer lasting affect. It's a messy situation no matter how you slice it or dice it. As advocates, we cannot offer solutions, only arm the victims with information, resources and help them through some processes if needed. The idea is to give the victim empowerment. It has to be very hard to bite your tongue when you are being told that someone raped you or your child.
I have started my house search again. I emailed several responses to ads and have only been able to connect with one gal, Patsy. I viewed her space today. $475 for the room and utilities, but I would be the fifth person in the home. Not sure that is suitable for me, especially at that rate. I thought being the fifth person in the house should be less expensive than that. Very nice lady and boyfriend own the home though. She and I had a lot of things in common. But my search continues. In speaking with them, they have always had tenants and view it as a business. Interesting as most cases seem to rent rooms to defray mortgage costs. Their perspective was interesting though. Future food for thought.
Comments