Road Trip: Miles Before I Sleep

 I enjoyed listening to the CD on the way to Tenino. I felt part of the pleasure was derived from the narrator's voice; it had a nice quality and she changed her voice to adopt from a male voice, to a female to a child's tone. Her use of inflection when needed often made me laugh, especially when she cussed. None of these interjections were obtrusive or harsh. They made me smile...and think... and reminisce. This was one of several audio books I've listened to of late and I've decided much of the success, or failure, of an audio book must rely on the chosen narrator, not just the words being narrated. It's HOW the narrator engages the listener and brings the story to full view in your mind. This author (or publisher) chose well here.
 I can see the tiny town split on both sides of the upcoming, stretch of road. Ugh...who'd want to live here? Why'd my friend Melinda live here? The population stats range from 1447-1697...depending on which site you are privy to. There is no wonderful sites to see, the buildings look beat and dilapidated. I saw a gas station and the nicest building appeared to be a community center. The sign boasting of an "RV Park" had five spaces for rent and a beat up camper was situated on one of them. I was almost to the end of the road through the town and I spied an antique shop with a blinking blue and red "OPEN" sign, hanging in the window. This surprised me because most of the town looked buttoned up, as if warding off strangers. I decided to stretch my legs and walk inside the curb side store.
 It definitely had charm and an array of clothes, jewelry, nick knacks, rugs, lace, mirrors, small furniture, and so on. I could tell instantly it was a shop housing merchandise from buyers who probably had a mark up, then displayed them here on consignment. This was easily discerned because of the hand written tags in multiple colors hanging from the wares. The shop keeper offered me coffee instantly...of which I accepted a cupful, then started gearing me towards used, tacky women's shoes. "These are on sale today." I internally laughed because they were homely. I must admit, she had some cute skirts and sweaters, but since the growth of my girth, nothing fit. The dressing room was the bathroom...good...I needed bladder relief...and she was a kind soul. Some of her friends (other merchandisers) came in...I listened to them giggle like school girls over their jokes. One by one they chatted with me, each having a goal of selling me something. I smiled when they tried to steer my attention to things hanging on the wall or furniture I didn't want. But, after a brief meandering through the shop, I did purchase an inexpensive bracelet and scarf. There...I helped the little community a bit, made a small purchase for myself and left with my goal of peace in the forefront.
 Despite the tackiness of the town and the spotty terrain, I still am appreciative enough to get that every town can't boast a beautiful capitol dome with crisp water surrounding it, or colorful trees hiking up the hillsides, but this country left a puzzling hole in my heart...why would anyone want to live here? But, in keeping with my motivating book of finding peace and leaving sorrow behind, I tried to appreciate this area. There were probably lots of farmers who loved this land, horses that loved the big pastures, close knit neighbors that helped each other, and small little shop keepers trying to make a living with one sale at a time.
This was the terrain.


The only body of water around with its charming (?) view.



My enlightened afternoon will be shared next time.

Comments

kden said…
It kind of sounds like my hometown whose population has probably dipped below 1000. The main street used to have pride for the yearly German Fest with brightly painted houses and tidy yards. Now it is also tired and run down looking as is our own family home; it's depressing to go back. It's nice you got out and did something for yourself and maybe went home with a new appreciation for your beautiful surroundings.

Popular posts from this blog

Curve Ball-First Pitch

The Observation Deck

Pane of Pain