The Offer

 Tuesday night while at my Toastmaster's meeting, I had to step out of the room to take two "on call" calls. They were easy, though disruptive. Then my personal phone rang and out of the normal brush off, I stepped out of the room to take the call. It was Sean, the Director of the SeaMar Clinic of where I interviewed two weeks ago. I had basically written the interview off but he called to offer me the position of Front Office Supervisor, of which I had applied. I was stunned and gracious.
 We made arrangements for my time to be at the clinic Thursday morning to complete some new hire paperwork and background checks. I was above cloud nine but kept my mouth shut to anyone else.
 When I got to the car after the meeting adjourned, I felt choked up and called my daughter in Houston. I had to tell someone! She put me on speaker phone so her fiancé' could hear as well, while I made the announcement. My daughter was especially thrilled because she has been around enough during the on call disturbances and has seen me commute 1-2 hours per day for 15 years. I felt like crying in elation, but I kept my cool. She was also excited to hear that I will have a full company benefit package again, rather than the none but catastrophic I pay for now through the stupid health exchange mandated by WA state.
 These last few days I keep smiling and going over in my head the 2k bigger annual salary, the 2k I will save in gas money for commuting, and the biggest reasons....NO MORE ON CALL and NO MORE HOURS WASTED DRIVING to and from work...it totals about 40 hours per month this last year. That's another work week I can never get back!
 I am cautious on who I tell because the Board of Directors of the clinic still need to approve the hiring. Sean does not foresee an issue.
 So there we go....no notice given to current employers until a targeted start date is negotiated with Sean, although he assures me he will be glad to work with me on that so I can give proper two week notice when the time comes.
 

Comments

kden said…
Well congrats Girl!! Keeping my fingers crossed that the rest of the process goes smoothly and you will soon be in a well deserved position.
Claire M. King said…
I will take you crossing your fingers kden. Thanks.
Grumpy said…
Congrats. Sounds like a great opportunity and you get more time for your life.
bill said…
Well how about them apples. Imagine the surprise I felt I when I opened up this morning and there you were, commenting on my blog as you have in the past as though nothing has happened and we have not been away from each other. I thought I had lost you, yet hear you are, behold and low, out of nowhere you appear. This is good news. I was going to put you in my blog just written but thought you might not read it and I would be dissappointed you did not know how elated I am am to find you again. I shall read you to catch up on the events of your life. Congrats on the new job offer.
Claire M. King said…
bill I am so glad I found your latest blog. Glad to read it!