Bright Ideas

 Bring on the wine!
 My friend KP and I had another one of our long evenings together. The kind of evening where we had cause to celebrate, converse, laugh and of course, drink wine...two bottles to be exact. (smile here).
 Our cause of celebrating stemmed from her victory in placing first at a division speech contest via Toastmasters International. The event was predicated from weeks of hard work, practice and placing first in two prior contests. From her original speech and help from a few friends, it was rewritten several times over. She and I had spent hours rehearsing. I was her audience and evaluator. I timed her speech so she could trim it down to the 7 minute speech it needed to be, in order to qualify at the contests. She nailed it and then some!
 "There Must Be a Way" was the title. The speech told the story of her stuttering issues from childhood to adulthood, and eventual, intense speech therapy at age 30. Overcoming the stuttering birthed confidence and changed her introvert personality to outgoing. This gave way to an entrepreneurial mindset followed by great accomplishments. She has successfully started and sold three businesses, along with being a realtor and wife. She did these all with grace and kindness, which speaks for the tremendous circles of friends in her life and her current mentoring role through a business source in Olympia. I am grateful to call her friend.
 As many past posts have boasted, she and I delve into hilarious conversations and sharing recollections of our life, which easily sway into deep, soulful sharing of secrets and sage advice. More than the number of fingers and toes I can count on, I have said we need to start a blog and she agrees. Yet, these conversations and ideas stay at the table and aren't typed anywhere to be served to the world. It certainly is not because of fear of what others would think...we both know there would be supporters and critics. The lack of fruition does not come from lack of confidence in our writing ability, nor the lack of ideas. I think it comes from the subdued energy we feel at these comfortable times and not wanting to break our moment of sisterhood. Grabbing a laptop in order to start typing could do just that. Neither of us wants that.
 This Sunday morning, her and I followed through with our plan to shop for recipe items for the jazz party next weekend. We then went to the  nearby nail salon for a treat of femininity, followed by an afternoon of prep work and projects. At one point, I asked her to read this blog prior to its completion. She smiled and complimented me in regards to the writing and a brief conversation solidified her agreement of co writing a blog.
 But, today, with other tasks at hand, we didn't grab our laptops or tablets in order to write. However, this time, I wouldn't be surprised if something truly grows from this replanted seed.
 So, bring on the wine and lets see what happens next time.

Comments

bill said…
Here's to Sisterhood and combined talents. Waiting to see what the future holds.
kden said…
Tony used to be in Toastmasters and although he didn't rise to that level, I know of the work involved to get there. Congrats to her and cheers for a possible new venture.
Claire M. King said…
Thanks for the comments guys.

Popular posts from this blog

Curve Ball-First Pitch

The Observation Deck

Pane of Pain