Backward and Forward-Big Steps Back

 In order to write again, I need to feel whole; I need to review, reflect and decipher.  I need to  accept where I am at this moment, from either going backwards in life or stepping ahead to the present.
 The year 2016 was a year of much self growth. Partially with my challenging job at Sea Mar as the Front Office Supervisor of a community health clinic. I supervised the reception team of five, whose primary responsibility was to check in patients, schedule appointments, process sensitive documents to our records department and adapt to changes put forth by administration, of which there were many. We also were responsible for informing patients of health measures being implemented and dealing with all types of people. Some grateful for the OBAMA care, and others, not so much. I was complained to or yelled at daily by patients who used me as their sounding board for health and political topics.
 Out of 32 clinics, my team always performed within the top 2-5 percent of meeting goal achievement with billing and productivity measures and goal accomplishments and positive patient, survey results. I spent a lot of quality time with many patients either in my office or in the lobby to help them with their frustrating situations. My original manager gave me rave evaluations, and the manager hired to replace him complimented me often on a job well done. So when I was asked to resign by the new regional manager in October of 2016, October 4th, the day before my 55th birthday, I was shocked. I had never had this type of situation and did not have a clear understanding of being given thirty days' notice to resign. During my meeting with that regional manager and my clinic manager, I accepted it after my defense and resigned on the spot. There was no way I was going to work in an atmosphere where I wasn't wanted. There was no way I would assist in training my replacement-especially since his only reason was "Missing Encounters," a billing program that one doctor was months behind on completing. I had no medical access to these reports or processes other than reminding him he needed to close his billing encounters so the company could bill insurance companies. HE cost the organization thousands upon thousands of dollars because HE failed to close his digital chart notes. At 76, he wasn't savvy enough to keep up.
 I did however get approved for unemployment. Thank God for small favors. At least I received 70 percent of my salary for six months. This was a definite step back in my life. I even consulted an attorney regarding this and because I was considered an, "At Will Employee;" technically they did not have to provide a reason at all.


Comments

Grumpy said…
Well, that sucks. I hope it improves from there.

Popular posts from this blog

Curve Ball-First Pitch

The Observation Deck

Pane of Pain