Jaunt: Part I

In researching my qualifications for a home loan, I have learned I am a medium risk candidate with a credit score of fair, given my divorce of last year and my debt to income ratio changing. (frown here). I have been researching a USDA Rural Program loan, and a State Bond loan as well as a newly, learned program called, Fanny Mae's Home Path Mortgage. The first two do not require a down payment, which is a #1 criteria for me at this time. I am still researching the Home Path Mortgage qualifications. Since I owned my old house for 29 years, First Time Home Buyer Programs are void, at least for another year. (I did not know I would EVER be a "first time home buyer", again.)

I have been thinking of a specific drive needed for a couple of weeks now. On Sunday afternoon, I decided to go for this drive to check out a neighboring community. There was a method to my madness. This community, situated 20 miles away, has newer, nicer homes qualifying for the USDA Rural Program. Whereas I live now, within city limits, of course, there are none. I had been to this community 12 years ago when I worked in the area for a short term. My girlfriend and I celebrated my divorce by going dancing at a casino located there. I had also gone to the small town library to research for one of my Toastmaster speeches. Basically, I went to the establishments needed, and left. I did not drive through the community or pay much attention to my surroundings. I was finding my way by focusing on street signs. I must also say, my prejudged concept of this little town was that of a "hick" town. So, I was a bit surprised when I drove through and around this little town again.

It was a lovely day. The sun was embracing everything, and I donned my sunglasses. This was a refreshing break from the thick dark mornings and nights in which I commute, in the rain, often times. I felt peaceful and in tune to my goal of driving, searching, learning. The music was cranked from the stereo. I traveled some distance from the core, without much knowledge of the area, without a map, and just drove, (I know, silly me...no map.) I drove through horse and sheep farm country. I wound around great curves through forested roads, not yet raped by logging companies...and boom...there would be a sign for a development or a lake of sorts. So, I would spin my little Honda on a quick turn, and just drive.  If I happened upon a road or a development worthy of my instinct, I drove on it or through it. I found a few lakes with some housing developments intact. I snorted at some mini developments where the roads were not complete, and my trusty Honda had to flip some "uies", or I maneuvered three point turns to back out. (Not buying here.) I drove to a public boat launch and admired a lake. This part of the county has little development.


After driving for an hour or so, I weaved my way on the curvy roads, through those same forested roads, then, past the sheep huddling near the fence lines, and the horses standing on the hills. I passed some junk filled yards and some gated farms boasting of their products or names. I could see the pastures drying of the mud from recent rains. There were evergreens and bare, deciduous trees, scattered on these country roads between the small farms. I did feel like I was home in Minnesota at times. Just like home, except the animals in view would be cows, not sheep and there would be few evergreens. My brother would love it, but me, not so much. I have no desire to be a farm girl again. Not once did I miss that upbringing. However, I know that lifestyle gave me hard working roots, of which I am proud.  Moments of realization came over me like the sun warming the land. This drive may be more than I can tolerate, day in and day out. This land is not the view I want to see. I was driving farther away from my desired reality. I shall continue down another road.

The remainder of my jaunt to come.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It sounds like an interesting piece of real estate out away from the city, like my kind of country, although as you say a fur piece to drive getting to work and back daily. I'm not to much on long commutes although on a Sunday afternoon I did love taking that long look-see trip with you. You indicated there's more to come. I look forward to the ride.
Grumpy said…
Sounds like a nice drive, even if you learned it's not a place you want to live.
kden said…
It still sounds like a nice day for a drive though, and a little adventure. Sorry news wasn't any better on the credit ratings. With the old scoring we used to have an excellent rating, we could walk in anywhere and they'd be jumping to sign us on for anything. Now, I'm not so sure. Still trying to pay our way out of debt and with the new scoring format I'm afraid to know how we'd rate. Keep looking though!

Popular posts from this blog

Curve Ball-First Pitch

The Observation Deck

Pane of Pain