Broadening the View

In relation to my post; "All a Flurry" from 2/2011, I did meet one of my friends' guy friends last weekend. My co worker hosted a poker party, and invited me, as her guy, friend would be attending. It was fun. Simple change was the betting factor. I have accumulated a lot of change, and lost some of it there. I teased the other 8 people and said I was happy to contribute to their causes. I had a great time, laughing with new people. I went to a wine tasting venue at a local winery with the gent, to a nice dinner with him, then out with another friend to a birthday party and to a local dance club. Some kind of dance club! (He is bound and determined to open my envelope.)

In reflection thinking of these minor, time passing events this weekend, I have mentally admitted to a life of small circumstances in measurement to some people. There are those who have had such adventures, such different lifestyles and merry go rounds of drama. My life has been very plain in comparison. I have not been judgmental of people, to the best of my ability, anyway, but the party I attended was unique with a houseful of guests with completely different sexual orientations than I am used to mingling with. I do have some friends that are gay and married, and a couple of the caregivers I supervise are lesbian. They are not any different than I, in their public workings and dealings. What they do in private is their own business.

The club...wow! There were attendees who were gay, lesbian and probably, bisexual. I saw "drag queens" up close and personal, though much younger than I. One guy/gal (smile here) was very pretty. Now, the dancing took some getting used to. I like good ole rock-n-roll, and this metro, funky shit was a challenge to dance too. And yes, there were people who were "dirty  dancing". "Grinding" is the term for it now. I am not a grinder, but in people watching, in general, it was a huge blend of age groups, with some older folks like myself, just enjoying the art of dancing. (I use that term loosely...in more ways than one) (smile here). Everyone kept their clothes on, friends dancing with friends, often in groups, and not everyone was in total body contact with the other. I assumed, this may be the type of place my twenty something kids go to. It was safe, and there was a smoking section outside, and a hat check area, too. It was very dark with laser lighting flashing off the walls, but really, a safe haven of enjoyment for all who were present. I would be okay with my kids going to places like this. My prejudged notion of a joint like this, was, actually, wrong. Not to say it is something I would patronage often, but it did me good to see this realm of activity, and to participate in the new age dancing. Everyone was polite and no one was hurting anybody. They were here, not out vandalizing places or participating in gang activity. They were having fun.

I just got off the phone with my twenty three year old son, and when he stopped laughing about my "club experience", we had a nice talk. He claimed he doesn't go to places like this club very often. He likes good old fashioned pool bars over this type of club.

I had interesting outings and glad to have attended them with new faces in new places. I am glad I broadened my view. Assumptions can get the better of us and stop us from trying new things with new people.

Comments

kden said…
Way to go for getting out there! I admit I have lived a somewhat shelterd life too. There are some things that I would like to do but it seems like the money issue gets in the way. I want to jump out of an airplane, go parasailing, go on a cruise by myself, and maybe even go to a club like that ;-)
Grumpy said…
"Open my envelope"? I thought I had heard them all.
Claire M. King said…
Glad I schooled ya grumpy. You are right kden, money is always an issue on the type of fun you can have. I had two guys paying for some of my fun.
Anonymous said…
As you're out and around socially you're going to meet lots of guys who want to open your envelope. You're a good looking chick.
Claire M. King said…
bless your heart bill.

Popular posts from this blog

Curve Ball-First Pitch

The Observation Deck

Pane of Pain