A Special Kind of Look
Near Snoqualmie Pass, Washington State
These are the mountains that separate Western Washington from Eastern Washington. Of course, this is a minuscule slice of them. The Cascade Mountain Range. I favor traveling over Snoqualmie Pass opposed to the other routes of choice. This derives from my daughter living in Spokane for four years while attending college. It seemed to be the quickest route for me to take, as I-90 cuts right up, down, around and through them, quite nicely. The DOT knew what they were doing when they mapped this thoroughfare. Plus, my Honda knew the way well. (smile here).
It has been a few years since me and my Honda have ventured this route. As I drove along the Yakima River for a stint, I remembered the times, (long before my Honda), that hubby #1 and I, spent several summers in a row, carting the kids near here to float the Yakima River, with groups of friends and family. We usually spent two to three days camping along this river. Good times.
Since my daughter graduated from that esteemed university, a calling has not tugged at me to travel this far. Until today, June 18, 2011. I have been anticipating...today. It is with a random, connection I journeyed this far...today. It is with a special bond, of sorts, that I cruised here...today. I was on my way to meet kden...yes, kden!!! The lovely person who has participated in the reading and commenting of my blog, this last year. I thank her, appreciate her, and God bless her for uplifting me, as all of my blogger friends do, when I have something to write about. The time has come. She and I have emailed each other recently, and talked on the phone to set up this meeting. How charming, exciting and fun! Good for her and good for me on taking this opportunity to connect. She (and my readers), certainly know my guts, pretty well. And, I didn't scare her away...(laugh here).
We decided to meet at a McDonald's in Cle Elum, as it was the only place I could think of at this half way, stopping point, that was easily noticed and had easy seating. I had arrived a bit earlier than she, and I think I noticed her cruise in and out quickly, so I went outside and caught her standing on the sidewalk, ready to call me from her cell phone. I had only seen one picture of her on her blog. Quick hug and we went inside and had a cup of coffee. The chatting began.
We decided a meal would be nice to converse over. I had asked a couple of folks about a good place to eat before my leave, and they said, "Ma Ma Vallones". We drove our vehicles downtown. Found the restaurant, but to our dismay, it was closed. Guess it's not open for lunch. We left our cars parked there and started our walk of the town, to find a place to eat and converse. Mind you, Cle Elum is what I call a "strip town". One main road from the beginning to end. Sure, there is probably some off shoot streets, but, the excitement happens on the main drag. (laugh here). I'd be surprised if there is any "night life". After we rejected the look of a few cafes, kden asked some folks on the street for a recommendation. The "Cottage Cafe" was suggested...almost at the end of town. She and I looked at each other and decided to keep trudging along. We finally found the joint.
After a nice meal and constant talking, (smile here), we left and decided to take pictures of each other, on the walk back to our cars.
Our, lovely kden
She is a beauty... inside and out.
When we arrived at our vehicles, since the weather was windy, sprinkly and overcast, we decided to call our first meeting "good". Our discussion determined, if the weather had been cheery and sunny, we could have found a park of where to extend our visit. As it were, we could both travel home in the daylight. I was okay with this as the Pass can be harried on a rainy, dark night, especially with older eyes.
I will always remember meeting this darling, friend...kden. I will always be appreciative of the personal sharing we have done, this past year, and especially, during this face to face meeting. Thank you, kden. You will remain in my heart. What a special kind of look I have had, of such a special kind of friend and author.
(I know, I know...corny but true.)
kden's memento to me...one of her glass totems.
These are the mountains that separate Western Washington from Eastern Washington. Of course, this is a minuscule slice of them. The Cascade Mountain Range. I favor traveling over Snoqualmie Pass opposed to the other routes of choice. This derives from my daughter living in Spokane for four years while attending college. It seemed to be the quickest route for me to take, as I-90 cuts right up, down, around and through them, quite nicely. The DOT knew what they were doing when they mapped this thoroughfare. Plus, my Honda knew the way well. (smile here).
It has been a few years since me and my Honda have ventured this route. As I drove along the Yakima River for a stint, I remembered the times, (long before my Honda), that hubby #1 and I, spent several summers in a row, carting the kids near here to float the Yakima River, with groups of friends and family. We usually spent two to three days camping along this river. Good times.
Since my daughter graduated from that esteemed university, a calling has not tugged at me to travel this far. Until today, June 18, 2011. I have been anticipating...today. It is with a random, connection I journeyed this far...today. It is with a special bond, of sorts, that I cruised here...today. I was on my way to meet kden...yes, kden!!! The lovely person who has participated in the reading and commenting of my blog, this last year. I thank her, appreciate her, and God bless her for uplifting me, as all of my blogger friends do, when I have something to write about. The time has come. She and I have emailed each other recently, and talked on the phone to set up this meeting. How charming, exciting and fun! Good for her and good for me on taking this opportunity to connect. She (and my readers), certainly know my guts, pretty well. And, I didn't scare her away...(laugh here).
We decided to meet at a McDonald's in Cle Elum, as it was the only place I could think of at this half way, stopping point, that was easily noticed and had easy seating. I had arrived a bit earlier than she, and I think I noticed her cruise in and out quickly, so I went outside and caught her standing on the sidewalk, ready to call me from her cell phone. I had only seen one picture of her on her blog. Quick hug and we went inside and had a cup of coffee. The chatting began.
We decided a meal would be nice to converse over. I had asked a couple of folks about a good place to eat before my leave, and they said, "Ma Ma Vallones". We drove our vehicles downtown. Found the restaurant, but to our dismay, it was closed. Guess it's not open for lunch. We left our cars parked there and started our walk of the town, to find a place to eat and converse. Mind you, Cle Elum is what I call a "strip town". One main road from the beginning to end. Sure, there is probably some off shoot streets, but, the excitement happens on the main drag. (laugh here). I'd be surprised if there is any "night life". After we rejected the look of a few cafes, kden asked some folks on the street for a recommendation. The "Cottage Cafe" was suggested...almost at the end of town. She and I looked at each other and decided to keep trudging along. We finally found the joint.
After a nice meal and constant talking, (smile here), we left and decided to take pictures of each other, on the walk back to our cars.
Our, lovely kden
She is a beauty... inside and out.
When we arrived at our vehicles, since the weather was windy, sprinkly and overcast, we decided to call our first meeting "good". Our discussion determined, if the weather had been cheery and sunny, we could have found a park of where to extend our visit. As it were, we could both travel home in the daylight. I was okay with this as the Pass can be harried on a rainy, dark night, especially with older eyes.
I will always remember meeting this darling, friend...kden. I will always be appreciative of the personal sharing we have done, this past year, and especially, during this face to face meeting. Thank you, kden. You will remain in my heart. What a special kind of look I have had, of such a special kind of friend and author.
(I know, I know...corny but true.)
kden's memento to me...one of her glass totems.
Comments