Serenity

  I am on my fourth day of no work. I am on my fourth day of  no concern to a clock or calendar.  I am on my fourth day of doing absolutely nothing. I am on my fourth day of little interruption. I am on my fourth day of being a pet care taker and house sitter. I am on my fourth day of reading a book I started four days ago. I am on my fourth day of having lots of thoughts filter through my brain. I am on my fourth day of nothingness. I am on my fourth day of vacation. I am, indeed, on my fourth day of serenity.
  The original reason for this vacation, was to house sit and pet sit for my dear friends in that small ole' town from hence I moved. They are on an Alaskan Cruise, and due to the nice house, plants and pets needing care, they asked me to fulfill this dubious honor. My friends would not consider "just" anybody. Flattery will get you somewhere. (smile here.) So here I am.
  My friend, KP, drove the hour and half yesterday from Olympia, to spend the day with me. She is the chum I have been helping with the home, reorganization projects, and she is my counterpart in Toastmaster's. I, VP of PR and she, VP of Membership. Naturally, the afternoon was chatted away sitting on my "vacation home", deck, with dogs and cats meandering about. The two labs are generally inside dogs, as I was warned, letting them outside beyond the fenced, doggies' lawn, would likely tempt them into darting away. The Dachshund, however, can come and go on the deck, as he sticks close to home. Four of the five cats can come in and out as they please. The fifth cat, actually, has a harness and leash they have attached to one of the deck chairs, allowing him to lounge outside, once hooked up. He is a flight risk without the attachment.
  Having spent most of the daytime since I have arrived, in the sun, on the deck, the labs have been sticking their noses on the screen door and whimpering on occasion, pleading to join me outside. I finally figured out a way to tether them to the deck posts with their leather collars and hooks, thus, allowing them to relax with me on the deck, with no fear of escape. We had a nice evening together, out there.
  I have forgotten what a shy comfort it is to have pets in the home. The black and golden labs, Chip & Cooper, (respectively), follow me throughout the home, whether I go upstairs or downstairs, in the kitchen or to the living room, or to the office.  They seem to want to be by me all of the time, or at least within ten feet of me. The wiener dog, Blake, is less agile and has less energy to follow me everywhere. Though, he is right there laying beside me while I lounge on the couch reading or watching TV.  I need to carry him up the stairs as often as possible. They have lots of stairs, he has short legs and a bad back. My friends reassured me, if I forgot him, he would be able to come up on his own accord. He is right beside me now, at my feet, while I type to my blog. The cats do spend a great deal of time outside, but dart in when the deck door is opened for my own, personal, entry or exit. The dogs and cats all get along famously and have put many a smile on my face.
  I have brought several books to read, some Toastmaster projects to work on, and notebooks, writing utensils and such. My brain will turn to mush if I don't do something productive. I have pegged three jobs on line to apply for. I can keep up with reviewing emails, blogs, ISN sites, and of course, I have my cell phone allowing me to chat with whomever I choose. Derek is even going to visit me on Wednesday. I am to have lunch with a local, friend tomorrow, and my son is to bring his girlfriend here for an evening meal.
  Someday I will be able to afford an actual vacation that requires flying to an exotic locale, seeing tourists sights, and be housed in a lavish hotel. But for today, this is a lovely, comfortable place surrounded with serenity.

  
  
  
 

Comments

kden said…
It sounds like a nice way to spend a week, reading, hanging out with friends and furry ones. It's good not to be productive all the time, just enjoy it.

Sure, I'd love to get together again sometime soon, since I have a new reliable battery and all, ha.
Claire M. King said…
It is nice, kden. We'll have to start planning prior to weather changes.

Popular posts from this blog

Curve Ball-First Pitch

The Observation Deck

Pane of Pain