Inside
As I shared my lavish view with you in a brief and limited way, I thought of how this time spent in this grand, modern household evokes feelings of appreciation. It allows me to see this world from a dear friend's eyes and taste a bite from a different piece of pie. Her elaborate reality is my dream and the world is her oyster yet, she is gracious and generous with her surroundings.
She views her estate as a blessing, reinforced by the plaques and notes decorating her walls and spaces; "Beach: If you are lucky enough to live on the water, you are lucky enough!" A plaque that greets guests at the entry; "Live-Laugh-Love". A note posted to her computer screen; "If the joy is in the journey, then you are having instant success." This charming lady has earned it all; from every tree branch to every patch of grass, from the brick pathways to each cement patio, from every inch of waterfront to all the waves on the water, she's earned this breathtaking setting. Her surroundings have been acquired through work, turbulence and toil yet, how lovely she is for thinking they are blessings. How beautiful she is for counting them every day. How lucky I am she reminds me of this in every room I enter. Not because of the lovely items throughout, rather, because of those little reminders. (Smile here).
She's achieved thriving success through her years of med school, small paychecks and taking a business risk with intelligence and determination. She had faith and foresight to offer services through Bariatric medicine. Understanding a bit of her story reminds me of the costs and labors in life she has endured to effectuate this estate. She may be blessed, but it it is not solely of random gifts from Above.
This is the doctor friend who has hired me in the past several months as a temporary office member, during regular staff absences. I know first hand how she operates her business and what a steady stream of patients she obliges. I see her kind bedside manner, genuine concern and gratitude towards her patients.
It is quite honorary to have someone entrust their private space to me during an absence. It is ingratiating to care for beloved pets. It empowers me to have friends bestow such faith in me whether with lavish surroundings or not. I like being trusted, being a confidante, being allowed peeks into these private worlds through physical and verbal fashions. I often say, "I love getting to the guts of people." Of course, not in a surgical way but in a deep conversational way. Someone shares a story and blurts at the ending, "I can't believe I just told you that. I haven't told anyone that before." That happens to me often. I love getting to learn the depth of a person; hear those secretive thoughts and partner with those emotions. I enjoy seeing the predilection of these individuals when they wear vulnerability on their sleeve. I appreciate their trust in opening the core of themselves to me as if they were opening a chest and allowing me a glance, allowing me to see beneath the lid before it's placed under lock and key for safekeeping, once more.
I am grateful for my friends and family. I am grateful I have earned respect from people I encounter. I am glad God has blessed me with an air that evokes such trust from others. This, in so many ways, has lead me to opportunities on the inside.
Comments