The Whys, Whos & Whats
I just spent about an hour reading my pals' blog posts. Again, time has flown by without checking in here, despite my thinking of you all often.
I am glad not to be a Toastmaster club officer this year. It is nice; if I don't feel like going to a meeting, I don't, and my brain isn't forcing me to attend since I have no official duties. That is a relief. Then, low and behold, my friend Derek has name dropped me to a few district officers who are forming their committees and teams right now. I have gotten phone calls from three district leaders to participate on their team. One to assist with District 32's social media sites, one to be an assistant VP of PR and most recently, to be an educational Ambassador to relay and share new and upcoming programs to the area clubs. I did pretty good sideswiping the invites until recently. I did apply to be an educational Ambassador and I am thinking about helping the district VP of PR with social media. He has to outline some details and expectations for me. I guess I am considering these as the duties are not demanding on a weekly basis. (I hope.)
The job is fine. I am struggling with the daily 66 mile commute. (Blah). I sill enjoy my coworkers and like the networking events I attend. The pay is not great in this industry and the on call is a nightmare. I can see that this agency responded to urgent and frivolous after hour calls all the time. I hope when I feel more solid I can start retraining the workers and such to call during regular hours if the situation doesn't deem urgent or wait until the next day if possible. The scheduling struggles, employee mishaps and all other situations are about the same as my former employer...the industry of which I tried to escape...operates on a basic level with similar circumstances and stresses throughout.
My housemate backed into my parked car a few weeks ago while backing out of the driveway to go to work. I almost laughed because she looked so sad when she broke the news to me at 6:45 one morning. I asked her if it was bad, she said no just a scrape along the driver and passenger door. I asked her if it was drivable and she said yes. I said then lets go to work and take care of it tonight. Her insurance company is paying for the damages and a rental car. I just took the car in after work a few nights ago and the Nissan they loaned me is brand new and very zippy. It is a compact car and I like it.
I have recently been given a proposition to move into my friend KP's basement apartment for $400 per month. It is furnished with slightly outdated stuff, but I am debating that choice. I probably will, but I am concerned for Linda and her financial situation. When I moved here in March I knew my rent helped her finances a lot. It bothers me to think she'd be floating in a sinking boat again-although she continues to anyway. I just feel kind of bad or like I'd be bailing on her. Shit-sometimes I hate responsibility and guilt. We don't have a lease or anything and no time frame was discussed upon my move in. We have touched on the subject during conversation and she even stated she wouldn't blame me if I found a cheaper place to live. I would still need a storage unit again because KP's apartment wouldn't allow all of my stuff-especially since her place has furnishings. But there are some advantages there. So that debate is going through my mind, plus, having to move after 6 months isn't appealing.
I haven't been attending my writer's meetings for over a month. They are in Tacoma as well and since I drive there 5 days a week, it isn't encouraging to drive there a sixth day. But, I would like to muster up my enthusiasm and go. The people were very nice. There isn't a local one as far as my research goes.
My daughter is sending me pics of venues and dresses she's trying on to keep me in touch with this process. I sure miss being there with her for this big event. I am so excited that my eldest son is going to Houston to visit her for a week. He leaves next week. They are both excited for his trip!
Welp, there is a debriefing on my activities for now. The who and why and whats of it all.
I am glad not to be a Toastmaster club officer this year. It is nice; if I don't feel like going to a meeting, I don't, and my brain isn't forcing me to attend since I have no official duties. That is a relief. Then, low and behold, my friend Derek has name dropped me to a few district officers who are forming their committees and teams right now. I have gotten phone calls from three district leaders to participate on their team. One to assist with District 32's social media sites, one to be an assistant VP of PR and most recently, to be an educational Ambassador to relay and share new and upcoming programs to the area clubs. I did pretty good sideswiping the invites until recently. I did apply to be an educational Ambassador and I am thinking about helping the district VP of PR with social media. He has to outline some details and expectations for me. I guess I am considering these as the duties are not demanding on a weekly basis. (I hope.)
The job is fine. I am struggling with the daily 66 mile commute. (Blah). I sill enjoy my coworkers and like the networking events I attend. The pay is not great in this industry and the on call is a nightmare. I can see that this agency responded to urgent and frivolous after hour calls all the time. I hope when I feel more solid I can start retraining the workers and such to call during regular hours if the situation doesn't deem urgent or wait until the next day if possible. The scheduling struggles, employee mishaps and all other situations are about the same as my former employer...the industry of which I tried to escape...operates on a basic level with similar circumstances and stresses throughout.
My housemate backed into my parked car a few weeks ago while backing out of the driveway to go to work. I almost laughed because she looked so sad when she broke the news to me at 6:45 one morning. I asked her if it was bad, she said no just a scrape along the driver and passenger door. I asked her if it was drivable and she said yes. I said then lets go to work and take care of it tonight. Her insurance company is paying for the damages and a rental car. I just took the car in after work a few nights ago and the Nissan they loaned me is brand new and very zippy. It is a compact car and I like it.
I have recently been given a proposition to move into my friend KP's basement apartment for $400 per month. It is furnished with slightly outdated stuff, but I am debating that choice. I probably will, but I am concerned for Linda and her financial situation. When I moved here in March I knew my rent helped her finances a lot. It bothers me to think she'd be floating in a sinking boat again-although she continues to anyway. I just feel kind of bad or like I'd be bailing on her. Shit-sometimes I hate responsibility and guilt. We don't have a lease or anything and no time frame was discussed upon my move in. We have touched on the subject during conversation and she even stated she wouldn't blame me if I found a cheaper place to live. I would still need a storage unit again because KP's apartment wouldn't allow all of my stuff-especially since her place has furnishings. But there are some advantages there. So that debate is going through my mind, plus, having to move after 6 months isn't appealing.
I haven't been attending my writer's meetings for over a month. They are in Tacoma as well and since I drive there 5 days a week, it isn't encouraging to drive there a sixth day. But, I would like to muster up my enthusiasm and go. The people were very nice. There isn't a local one as far as my research goes.
My daughter is sending me pics of venues and dresses she's trying on to keep me in touch with this process. I sure miss being there with her for this big event. I am so excited that my eldest son is going to Houston to visit her for a week. He leaves next week. They are both excited for his trip!
Welp, there is a debriefing on my activities for now. The who and why and whats of it all.
Comments
It sounds like you don't like the duty but need the association with these people or some of them.
Do what you want to do. You can always bail if something else comes up or you tire of it. Will your 'on call' situation interfere with toastmaster duty?
About moving to a basement apartment? You're own your own here, kid.