Tow the Toe
This is not going to be a pleasant blog post, so you may want to go onto the next blog of choice.
Saturday is usually a day of errands for me, and like many, this Saturday started out with being paged at 7:32 am, called upon to solve some problems with scheduling and staffing client shifts. At 10:41 am, most of the problems were solved, although I still had an evening shift to cover Sunday pm. Many calls were made to many care givers for help with the staffing, and only a small percent returned my calls. After all, it was 98 degrees here in Western Washington and that was probably a primary reason for the lack of return calls.
When the meat of my morning had passed, I showered and dressed to head on my way to accomplish something on a personal basis. The list of errands was on my mind and my territorial map was drawn in my mind in order to be strategic with my driving.
First was a bank stop which was handled via the drive thru and I quickly hit the freeway to go to my new place of employment to drop off some new hire paperwork requested. Next was a relaxing drive thru the car wash and my final destination, the nail salon.
Mind you, I was 48 years old when I moved to Olympia and had my first manicure and pedicure. According to my nieces, they have had this splurge since their high school years. It has become a common part of beauty maintenance rather than a luxury of which I had believed. What really dawned on me today when I stepped into the salon, of which I have been a patron for four years, was that this "luxury" is ageless. The salon has procured 3 child's pedicure chairs for young ones, and they were all full upon my arrival. I am not sure if it is a benefit or another spoilage of society for the young to have this beauty maintenance service. I think of what it would have been like for my daughter and I to have shared in this treatment during her youth, to relax together and come out feeling pretty together. I can see that perk.
Then I think of the costs and the expectations being set for these young girls to have this pampering on a regular basis and see the downside. Me and my cousins and sisters completed our own manicures and pedicures or did them for each other while giggling and bonding. I have a lot of good memories from that and this popular service is taking that away. But, it is not for me to be concerned about, my daughter is an adult and pays for her own.
In the last several months of going to the same salon, they have really focused on caring for my ingrown toenail on my big toe. It has gotten more and more painful and they feel bad seeing me grimace and bite my lip during the pedicure process on that one big toe. But I always assure them I am ok and the relief from pain is amazing. I can wear shoes without a constant pressure and soreness.
I have been treated by my primary doctor years ago for this nail growth into the skin edge to no avail. The medication is limited to 6 months as it can foster damage to your kidney. What the hell is this from anyway? I didn't used to have this embarrassing toenail. I searched on line and the reasons people get ingrown toenails makes sense as to why I have it.
Trauma to the toenail...I dropped a large armload of wood on my feet during high school and the toenail never grew back properly after it fell off. The website said pressure on the toe, such as sports like soccer, basketball and tennis where your feet start and stop, constantly creating pressure on your toes/feet is a cause...I played basketball for years. Another reason is lack of care to your feet...hell I was a farm girl who ran around bare foot all the time. I didn't soak my feet or take care of them. And the final contributor is poor shoe choice. I wore spike heels all the time during my youth and retail career years. No wonder I have this problem!
Now that I know the cause and read about some home treatments, I can care for my feet until I can afford a podiatrist visit. In the mean time, I will go tow my toes to the nail salon for relief and beatification of my nails.
Saturday is usually a day of errands for me, and like many, this Saturday started out with being paged at 7:32 am, called upon to solve some problems with scheduling and staffing client shifts. At 10:41 am, most of the problems were solved, although I still had an evening shift to cover Sunday pm. Many calls were made to many care givers for help with the staffing, and only a small percent returned my calls. After all, it was 98 degrees here in Western Washington and that was probably a primary reason for the lack of return calls.
When the meat of my morning had passed, I showered and dressed to head on my way to accomplish something on a personal basis. The list of errands was on my mind and my territorial map was drawn in my mind in order to be strategic with my driving.
First was a bank stop which was handled via the drive thru and I quickly hit the freeway to go to my new place of employment to drop off some new hire paperwork requested. Next was a relaxing drive thru the car wash and my final destination, the nail salon.
Mind you, I was 48 years old when I moved to Olympia and had my first manicure and pedicure. According to my nieces, they have had this splurge since their high school years. It has become a common part of beauty maintenance rather than a luxury of which I had believed. What really dawned on me today when I stepped into the salon, of which I have been a patron for four years, was that this "luxury" is ageless. The salon has procured 3 child's pedicure chairs for young ones, and they were all full upon my arrival. I am not sure if it is a benefit or another spoilage of society for the young to have this beauty maintenance service. I think of what it would have been like for my daughter and I to have shared in this treatment during her youth, to relax together and come out feeling pretty together. I can see that perk.
Then I think of the costs and the expectations being set for these young girls to have this pampering on a regular basis and see the downside. Me and my cousins and sisters completed our own manicures and pedicures or did them for each other while giggling and bonding. I have a lot of good memories from that and this popular service is taking that away. But, it is not for me to be concerned about, my daughter is an adult and pays for her own.
In the last several months of going to the same salon, they have really focused on caring for my ingrown toenail on my big toe. It has gotten more and more painful and they feel bad seeing me grimace and bite my lip during the pedicure process on that one big toe. But I always assure them I am ok and the relief from pain is amazing. I can wear shoes without a constant pressure and soreness.
I have been treated by my primary doctor years ago for this nail growth into the skin edge to no avail. The medication is limited to 6 months as it can foster damage to your kidney. What the hell is this from anyway? I didn't used to have this embarrassing toenail. I searched on line and the reasons people get ingrown toenails makes sense as to why I have it.
Trauma to the toenail...I dropped a large armload of wood on my feet during high school and the toenail never grew back properly after it fell off. The website said pressure on the toe, such as sports like soccer, basketball and tennis where your feet start and stop, constantly creating pressure on your toes/feet is a cause...I played basketball for years. Another reason is lack of care to your feet...hell I was a farm girl who ran around bare foot all the time. I didn't soak my feet or take care of them. And the final contributor is poor shoe choice. I wore spike heels all the time during my youth and retail career years. No wonder I have this problem!
Now that I know the cause and read about some home treatments, I can care for my feet until I can afford a podiatrist visit. In the mean time, I will go tow my toes to the nail salon for relief and beatification of my nails.
Comments