Another Pivotal Day
Thursday, 7/31/14 became another pivotal day and a tough one to have under my belt. I turned in my Letter of Resignation with dignity, confidence and a bit of sadness. It was an odd day, to say the least.
I approached Kim and Brian (the director and his administrator wife) while they were both in Brian's office. I had a copy of my resignation letter for them both. I handed each one of them their copy in an envelope.
Kim, "What's this?"
Brian in a joking tone, "A letter of resignation?"
Kim laughed, "Yea, right."
I shook my head and said in a quiet tone, "It is."
Kim, "What?"
They both tore into their envelopes at the same time and read the letter. When I could see them reading it for the second time, I sat in a nearby chair, unsure of what was coming next. The opening line of my letter was, "It is with a heavy heart that I give you this Letter of Resignation and notify you that my last day of employment with GTBHC will be August 13, 2014."
Brian, "Aw, it is with a heavy heart that I read this."
Kim left the room without a word, although I noticed her eyes were turning red. I looked at Brian and asked if she was going to cry. He shook his head yes and I simply said,
"I didn't think she'd cry."
This took place at about 10:30 AM, and for the next two hours, I didn't see Kim as she was back in her office. Brian came and chatted with me a couple of times and asked a few questions about the new position. I didn't give him much information, just answered his questions politely with no elaboration. When lunch time rolled around, Kim and Brian left the office without a word, no "See you in a little bit," like normal.
Ten minutes after the ordeal, my co worker Bobbi came into my office and said,
"Come here, give me a hug." I looked at her with surprise and commented,
"You know? It just happened a few minutes ago." Apparently after Kim had read the letter, she stepped into Bobbi's office crying and threw the letter at her simply saying, "She just quit."
Bobbi as sweetly as always discussed the new job and future benefits with me and said over and over, "I get it."
Kim didn't talk to me at all throughout the day and Bobbie comforted me by saying,
"Hey, you did nothing wrong. We're just going to miss you and this is on Kim, not you."
It took until half way through the next day for Kim to simply say, "You broke my heart and that's all I'm going to say about it."
I approached Kim and Brian (the director and his administrator wife) while they were both in Brian's office. I had a copy of my resignation letter for them both. I handed each one of them their copy in an envelope.
Kim, "What's this?"
Brian in a joking tone, "A letter of resignation?"
Kim laughed, "Yea, right."
I shook my head and said in a quiet tone, "It is."
Kim, "What?"
They both tore into their envelopes at the same time and read the letter. When I could see them reading it for the second time, I sat in a nearby chair, unsure of what was coming next. The opening line of my letter was, "It is with a heavy heart that I give you this Letter of Resignation and notify you that my last day of employment with GTBHC will be August 13, 2014."
Brian, "Aw, it is with a heavy heart that I read this."
Kim left the room without a word, although I noticed her eyes were turning red. I looked at Brian and asked if she was going to cry. He shook his head yes and I simply said,
"I didn't think she'd cry."
This took place at about 10:30 AM, and for the next two hours, I didn't see Kim as she was back in her office. Brian came and chatted with me a couple of times and asked a few questions about the new position. I didn't give him much information, just answered his questions politely with no elaboration. When lunch time rolled around, Kim and Brian left the office without a word, no "See you in a little bit," like normal.
Ten minutes after the ordeal, my co worker Bobbi came into my office and said,
"Come here, give me a hug." I looked at her with surprise and commented,
"You know? It just happened a few minutes ago." Apparently after Kim had read the letter, she stepped into Bobbi's office crying and threw the letter at her simply saying, "She just quit."
Bobbi as sweetly as always discussed the new job and future benefits with me and said over and over, "I get it."
Kim didn't talk to me at all throughout the day and Bobbie comforted me by saying,
"Hey, you did nothing wrong. We're just going to miss you and this is on Kim, not you."
It took until half way through the next day for Kim to simply say, "You broke my heart and that's all I'm going to say about it."
Comments