Little Yellow House

 This day, September 23rd, 2015 my mother's house will be completely void of her ownership; living or deceased. I signed the papers to sell the house yesterday. Of course, the phone calls to the family a month ago sealed our decision to take the offer, despite it being 29k under asking. (Purchaser got a hell of a deal.)
 I have already called businesses and started cancelling things like insurance, garbage service, notifying the association of the development in title. I contacted the attorney a week ago to review the real estate docs and start closing the estate. He reviewed the documents but said it was pointless to start paperwork until the sale was a "done deal.." The bank accounts will be a piece of cake as I have managed them well and have a plan thought out for sending final documents to my family. The unbound fact is this sale will alleviate many bricks from my shoulder. However, my Executorship won't be completely over until tax season next year and the last tax filing completed..
 I did my walk through of the place one final time, last night. The renter did a fabulous job with cleaning it. I text messaged with Nathan because he and I had already set up the walk through via phone calls previous days and I knew he wouldn't be present. I said goodbye to the long standing neighbor with a hug. The new owners can do with it what they choose, effective this day.
 I drove away from that little yellow house with a sense of peace with a touch of sadness lingering behind my heart.
But...It's all good.

Comments

Grumpy said…
Tough job executing someone's estate. Even tougher if it's a parent, I imagine.
bill said…
The load will get lighter and the sad memories fade.

Popular posts from this blog

Curve Ball-First Pitch

The Observation Deck

Pane of Pain